IDE Controller Issues!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

kpurdy28

Solid State Member
I have an older Dell system (Dimension T700r). Recently, the two CD drives quit working. They don't show as being recognized by the BIOS during boot and they don't show up in Explorer once windows finishes booting. Device Manager does not list any CDROM devices.

The two drives are set up as master and slave on the IDE controller on the motherboard. Switching them to the PCI IDE controller (Ultra 66) (that the hard drive is on), they are being recognized.

In device manager the IDE controller under Hard Disk Controllers shows the dreaded Yellow Exclamation mark. It indicates that it is in conflict with a Direct Memory Access Controller. It also gives me error code 29, and indicates it needs to be corrected in the BIOS.

I have tried all sorts of things to get the IDE controller working again, but I am at my wits end.

I suspect that the IDE controller on the motherboard is toast. Any other possible fixes out there I am missing?

I am a hardware newbie, but think I am fumbling along ago by reading resource information on the web. Any feedback would be great.

Have you tried uninstalling the IDE controller in the Device Manager, rebooting, and letting it re-install itself? If that doesn't work, try resetting your CMOS.

Thanks. I will give it a try when I get home and have a few minutes. If you get a second, I could use some instructions on how to reset CMOS. I have reset the BIOS to the defaults and have switched into maintenance mode using the jumper.

I haven't blown the IDE controller out of device manager before, so I will give it a go and let you know.

Resetting the CMOS is quite easy my friend. Below is something I copy and pasted from another thread since typing all of it out would be useless.

1. On the motherboard there is a small watch battery. Remove this battery along with the power cable from the power supply. Hold down the power button to fully discharge the system. Wait 2-3 minutes then reinstall the battery and plug in your system. Your reset is now complete

2. Some motherboards have a 3 pin jumper by the battery. Lets say that the jumper is on pins 2 and 3. Remove the jumper while the machine is OFF and place onto pins 1 and 2. Power on your machine for a minute. (Note: Your system will not POST). Shutdown your machine and put the jumper back to pins 2 and 3. Your reset is now complete

**If you have any questions and you need some more detailed instructions or anything, don't hesitate to ask me man. Later**

If that does not work...go to the Dell website and download the BIOS flash for your MOBO and reflash the BIOS. One other thing...it may be the cable. Grab another IDE 80 pin cable.

I uninstalled the IDE controller in Device Manager and it reinstalled, but still has the conflict issue.

I'm headin out of town for the weekend. I'll try resetting the CMOS when I get back.

As for flashing the BIOS, I believe I have already tried that, but then again, I have tried so many different things so far!

BIOS is A09 and also indicates PhoenixBIOS 4.0 6.0.

I do know for a fact that I have tried a second IDE cable. Same results.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm not giving up yet. I'll let you know how things go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom