Windows XP Professional Should Not Be There

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZeroShade

In Runtime
I am having a problem with my Windows XP Media Center 2005. When I had a problem with Media Center (which still isn't fixed), I decided to use the recovery disk to reinstall the operating system on the system. However, it did not work. It says Media Center on the disk but when it loaded it was saying XP Professional throughout the program. Then when I restarted the computer it gave me a choice to choose from Media Center and Professional. I went into my properties and gave Media Center the default operating system (Professional didn't load up anyway... it restarted after every attempt). As I try to fix Media Center's initial problem... I was going to download an update to see if it would work but it would not run on the operating system I am using. Thats right... the Media Center update wouldn't run on my Media Center system. So I went into properties once again and decided to delete altogether the Professional which shouldn't even be there. I found the manual editing for booting the system up. I don't know if this would delete Professional but I thought I might give it a shot (if its not the right way and someone does know... please let me know). This is what the editing says: "[Boot Loader]
Timeout=0
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Media Center Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Professional Setup"
"
You can see that it says Professional... so what is it that I have to delete. I don't want to delete anything that will screw the system more? Please help.

go to msconfig, boot.ini and click on check all boot paths, click ok to allow it to remove the invalid entry, reboot

Did you get it from Dell? They've had this problem ALOT. I've got about 50 XP Pro disks that really have Home on them. Call them and tell them and they'll next day you a new disk.

r u sure about that? That doesn't seem right. I'm pretty sure Alienware is better then dell. If dell bought Alienware then why rn't they using the same technology?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom