Dual Channel RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevelenihan

Baseband Member
I currently have 2 identical 512MB PC3200 DDR value RAM modules installed in dual channel mode. I'm thinkin of adding another 2GB of RAM (2x1) and am wondering if i get performance RAM will it work in dual channel along with my existing ram or will i have to take out the cureent ram. Is it possibble to have 2 pairs of different ram(ie. value ram and performance ram) running seperately in dual channel?

I'm not positive, but from what I've read you don't want to take up 4 mem slots because it lowers performance. Everyone told me to only take up 2 dual channel slots (1 pair), for maximum performance. As for whether or not they will work, I think they would, but they will run at the slowest chip speed present.

4 slots filled with memory will not reduce proformace at all. and yes it will work, i have 3 different types of memory over 4 slots with different clocks and i still have dual chanel.

why they say take up 2 and not 4 is, its better to have 2 1 gig sticks then 4 512 thats all thats about.

Right so if I have two sets of identical Ram both pairs will work in dual channel and both pairs dont need to have the same timings

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom