thermal paste question

Status
Not open for further replies.

faek

Baseband Member
Ok, on AMD processors they include their own thermal paste patch on the bottom of the heatsink. I was putting my computer together today when I noticed it said:

"If you remove the heatsink/fan after initial installation, you must first clean the heatsink surface and apply new thermal interface material before reinstalling the heatsink/fan on your processor."

Read that AFTER I had removed the unit a couple times, deciding which side I wanted the retention bracket on. AMD also notes that all their processors [maybe just from now on] MUST have some kind of thermal past applied to their CPU/heatsink.

So, from what you know and have experienced, is it necessary? It's not like I have lost any of the paste from switching it's orientation, but I don't want to do something potentially fatal to the main part of my system. The only difference I can think of is the paste may not be uniform anymore, and maybe there's some tiny tiny spaces in there now. So how big of a deal is it? Thanks

DANG. Well ok, don't want to do something stupid and screw it up. Not that i'm second-guessing you, but does everybody else second that? I'm just curious if anybody's ever done it before.. and what happened. [I mainly just want to try booting my computer tonight to see if it will work at all, then shutting it down until I fix the problem... I'm finishing it up right now..]

Since that question is answered, I'll ask a similar one. A processor should come with the Thermal Paste already on, correct? So I would just have to place the heatsink/fan on it and I'm good to go?

To faeks second post:

You could get away with it sure. I think I actually removed my cpu acouple times cuz I wasn't sure it was sitting right. Nothing bad happened yet.... You should really clean it off and put on some artic silver 5 thou, but it'll be ok for now as long as it sticks.

Cool. So then, anytime the heatsink is removed w/ thermal paste already applied, you're supposed to completely reapply it correct? Is that the rule?

yeah clean it all off and then reapply, thats what it says in the instructions and its a good idea, but if you want to boot up and make sure its working right I think your safe to do so.

faek said:
Cool. So then, anytime the heatsink is removed w/ thermal paste already applied, you're supposed to completely reapply it correct? Is that the rule?

Yes, I second the motion.

The TIC (Thermal Interface Compound) is vital, not a detail to skimp on (Arctic Silver 5 is universally recommended). Also, it is highly recommended that you use a xylene-based cleaner to thoroughly clean the HSF and the CPU. Do Not use any cleaners that are scented (i.e. citrus scented Goo-Gone) and do not use WD-40. Goof-Off is an excellent cleaner.

Take care of that CPU, then OC it...

Syrillian said:
Yes, I second the motion.
Take care of that CPU, then OC it...

Hahaha, well thanks for answering all my questions guys. Suppose I will opt for Arctic Silver 5, since It's spoken so highly of [and 700+ perfect reviews on newegg!] I just hope I can find it locally easily enough.

Syrillian, I've been researching overclocking a lot, since this build would be my first experience with it.. making me as much scared as I am excited about it. Processor = AMD 4200 X2 and other parts are at least on par with that. I just hope it all goes well.. would hate for my greed to ruin such a nice system..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom