An odd 478 bracket problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

detour31

Baseband Member
i recently messed up my socket 478 northwood and so im replacing it but whilst doing it i notice that the bracket is not the standard one it has two folding arms (like the socket does to lock the cpu in place) so there isnt a replacement HSF around. i could use the one ive got but the problem is the messed up cpu is stuck and the is a black hard substance around it, which i gues is the thermal paste but its rock hard. is there a way of disolving it and do i need to pred the heatsink in any way before i reuse it?

I Dont even understand your description, I have 478 and I've got NO clue whate are you talking about,

about the themal paste, its one that supposed to stay there like.. for good, lol..but if you heat it up abit [run your pc on some heavy game..] and then rotate it circularly then it should dissolve..

-Jo.

no the processor stuck to the heatsinc is the broke one so it wont work what anbout nail varnish remover or white spirit or is that a no no umm the bracket thing. on a normal bracket it has a the 4 wholes it it mine doesnt it has two metal arms that click down to hold it in place.

You could run the computer to let it heat up, then try removing the processor, after of course the PC is shut off.

Hello,

Goof-off or any xylene-based cleaner will work well. Just make sure that you do not use a scented cleaner (citrus Goo-Gone) , and for the love of Pete, do not use WD-40.

Also, If I am interpreting your post correctly it seems that you could rip the KIA CPU off the heatsink, just don't scratch the HS base.

Black, huh?... how old is it?

detour31 said:
no the processor stuck to the heatsinc is the broke one so it wont work what anbout nail varnish remover or white spirit or is that a no no umm the bracket thing. on a normal bracket it has a the 4 wholes it it mine doesnt it has two metal arms that click down to hold it in place.

Sorry, I should have mentioned this in my first post...

What kind of MoBo do you have. Is the system an OEM? Once upon a time I had a DELL. It was a socket 478, but the retention bracket was not standard. That was the entire reason I started building my own - I don't take kindly to being corraled.

yer its a medion pc that i got for my 12th birthday. is there a solvent thats safe to use i can heat it up its not possible

detour31 said:
yer its a medion pc that i got for my 12th birthday. is there a solvent thats safe to use i can heat it up its not possible

A Xylene-based cleaner. Heating the froxen unit might help, though care should be taken.

Is there any way that you could pad something so that you could pry the CPU loose? The padding is to protect the HSF. You do not want scratches on the footprint that contacts the CPU.

Perhaps you could remove the fan assembly and boil that sucker in water for a few minutes....(CPU is "DEAD", right?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom