Wierd sound

Status
Not open for further replies.

hokoboko18

Solid State Member
ok, so i just finished putting my new computer together and installing windows and all that. when in windows, there is a high-pitched noise coming from inside my case. its not very loud but i find it somewhat annoying and unsettling. i suspect its the hard drive but im not sure. its not a constant sound and it does change. it sounds to me like its coming from something thats spinning (the main reason i suspect the hard drive) ...any thoughts? is there something else it could be? it is extremely high pitched to the point where i can barely hear it and some people cant at all.

sorry for the lateness of my reply, but anyway here is my system:

AMD AM2 4200 X2
1 gig DDR667 memory
EVGA 7600GT
Gigabyte M55SLI-S4
Western digital 250 gig SATA hard drive

another thing, i play WoW and it doesnt seem to make the noise at all when im in game. the minute i minimize i hear it again.

yeah its probably your hard drive, depending on what model it is thats just the way they are, there isnt necessarily a problem.

well, that sucks... i really dont want to have to RMA the **** thing and be without my computer for at least 2 weeks or so. i was planning on buying another drive, maybe ill just deal with it until i get another drive and ill just have to reload windows on to my other drive and use my current one as my storage drive. thanks for the input

i wouldnt buy the same one again asit might just be a normal sound of the drive.

its not a raptor is it? if so, yeah. those are really loud and have their own distinct sound to them

no, its just the normal 7200 rpm WD caviar hard drive... im just sort of confused because western digital is supposed to be like, the best. maybe i just got a lemon (just my luck) if i get a new one, ill probably get a seagate.

It's the drive. I would RMA that drive or buy another. Sooner or later that "noice" is really going to make you made when the drive fails. Western Digital has about a ten day turn around on their RMA's. BTW, I run two raptors and they are actually quiter than the 7200rpm SATA I use for backup!!

hokoboko18 said:
no, its just the normal 7200 rpm WD caviar hard drive... im just sort of confused because western digital is supposed to be like, the best. maybe i just got a lemon (just my luck) if i get a new one, ill probably get a seagate.

Personally, i find WD to be in second or third place. Seagate is king, IMO. 3 drives, not a single problem ever, had them 2 years. Almost 100% silent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom