SpyWare/Adware Keeps coming back!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Total Immortal

In Runtime
A friend of mine who I THOUGHT knew about Adware and Spyware sent me a link. I clicked it, and now I'm infected (I have a link in my AIM profile, that's how I know I'm infected).

Here's where it get's to be a pain in the ass. I use Webroots Spysweeper (Adaware will NOT run on my computer for some stupid reason. I've installed and reinstalled it about half a dozen times, and it just will NOT run). When I run spyweeper, it takes care of everything, but when I restart my computer the f'ing link comes back to my AIM profile. Is there ANYTHING that I can do besides formatting? I just got everything on my computer patched and updated from a recent format, and I don't want to format it again. Please help!!

Have you tried uninstalling AIM (removing all AIM registry settings and AIM folders), getting rid of the worm with spyweeper and then rebooting? After you reboot, run it again and see if it's back. If not, re-install AIM and you should be good to go.

-Mike

hey mike,
I just tried that, and I'm running spy sweeper as I type this out. It looks as if the spyware is still on here : ( It goes by the name of "Alexa Toolbar" and "Atwola Cookie" AIM is still uninstalled. What now?

I've got them in my "quarantine" folder. I've been routinely deleting them.. I can't imagine quarantining would do any good... F&*#

To access 'MSconfig', click Start > Run > type 'msconfig' (minus the quotation marks), then under the Start Up tab, uncheck the box corresponding with Alexa...

...least I think that's what Kangaroo was saying...

Well, I did that but I can't find anything that has those file names in them. I guess I'll reinstall AIM and see how it goes.

do as placebo says to do. he doesn't have "remove spyware" flashing for nothing!!! It removed all traces of spyware/adware that even Spysweeper didn't/couldn't find which I use also. 2 bad AdAware doesn't work cuz I like that also, seems to really nix the crap that tries to plant itself there.

Awesome thanks for the help you guys. AIM now appears to be spyware free, and I just installed bazooka and it found two things that Spysweeper didn't. Sweet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom