Help With Video Card Info

Status
Not open for further replies.

thesinter

Baseband Member
well, i have been looking around for a new video card lately, so far the cards i want the most all come out of the geforce 7-series. I was wanting the 7900 or 7800, but then someone told me that if your computet dosn't have a really good cpu, then you wouldn't be able to get a higher end card.

Here are my system specs.
CPU: AMD 3500+
Ram: 2 512 (looking to upgrade to 2 gigs)
harddrive:120 (7200 rpm/ 8mb cache
Video card:ati radeon 9800 pro (yes i do have a PCI slot open)
power: 450 watt

By my specs what video card should my computer be able to handle. also be specific about the card ( my friends also said that different versions of the same card have glitches and problems)
Thanks in advance!

The question is how much money you have.
What is your mobo socket awell.

You won't get the performance you want without ugrading your cpu. You will have to upgarde your ram as well so it will be smother.

Hi thesinter!

Forgive me if this is a little muddled...
I believe that the ATI 9800Pro is an 8X AGP card. you mentioned looking at the 7900. I also believe that the 7900 is a PCI-E interface exclusively. The latter will not function in a PCI slot. I have heard of MoBo's that have both, but I have yet to see one (not skeptical, merely reserved).

That being said, if you are sticking with AGP then your choices are limited. Sadly, AGP is nearing its "End of Life".

I believe that the 7800GS may be a good thought... try these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?N=2010380048+1069609639+4018&Submit=ENE&SubCategory=48

I hope that this helps.

I do have a PCI slot open. There is no way i am going to upgrade my cpu, but thanks for the suggestion, i will upgrade my ram thow. and my price range is around 300$.

If you mean my cpu being stable, then yes it is stable. I don't know a lot about overclocking, but if you give me a link to a good site about OC I will try once i learn how to OC well, or get someone who knows how to OC to do it. Well does anyone agree that the 7800GS is a good card, or do they have any other suggestions. O yeah is there a version of the 7800GS that is not AGP, i need the PCI version.

thesinter said:
If you mean my cpu being stable, then yes it is stable. I don't know a lot about overclocking, but if you give me a link to a good site about OC I will try once i learn how to OC well, or get someone who knows how to OC to do it. Well does anyone agree that the 7800GS is a good card, or do they have any other suggestions. O yeah is there a version of the 7800GS that is not AGP, i need the PCI version.

sinester u need the agp version. you have a PCI open but PCI is not the same as PCI-Express.

They are not compatibtle.

o sry. i apologize for not giving you guys to right info and waisting your time, bui i got confused, i do have a PCI express slot. so what card should i get now that u guys know that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom