Is this the perfect time to upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. What are we waiting to see?

I said that I already have a PCI-E video card which will be good for the new motherboards and, not being much of a gamer, it would do fine for my next build.

You said that you have to have DirectX9 to run vista which is a good bit of information, even though I'm not planning on going to vista right away.

However, your point isn't especially necessary since it seems that pre-DirectX 9 PCI-E video cards don't even exist. There's nothing to see, we already know that all or at least most PCI-E vid cards are DirectX 9, because the PCI-E interface, or at least it's mainstream adoption, is newer than DirectX 9, so it would be silly for anyone to have made a DirectX 8 PCI-E video card.

You can always debate the "best time to upgrade"....its a matter of having the system now, or waiting for a period of time (how bad do you want/need it?)....either way prices will always drop and you'll always feel screwed, when 2 weeks after you bought the stuff it drops 25%.....so, yes AMD 939, and AM2 stuff is very affordable right now...but it will go down or sell out....Conroe makes the rules right now....

If u have the cash and you want it now then buy...buy...buy...

Shannon u r definately a cutie geek :D

Well, I just got into all the hardware aspect of things 2 weeks ago so I don't know everything yet. I was only confused, so I looked and read. Who cares. Well, I will be vista ready once I get my pc but yeah I just a noob so I lack information sometimes. Sorry for the confusion.

Shannon said:
I'm sorry, but I don't know what you're talking about. What are we waiting to see?

I said that I already have a PCI-E video card which will be good for the new motherboards and, not being much of a gamer, it would do fine for my next build.

You said that you have to have DirectX9 to run vista which is a good bit of information, even though I'm not planning on going to vista right away.

However, your point isn't especially necessary since it seems that pre-DirectX 9 PCI-E video cards don't even exist. There's nothing to see, we already know that all or at least most PCI-E vid cards are DirectX 9, because the PCI-E interface, or at least it's mainstream adoption, is newer than DirectX 9, so it would be silly for anyone to have made a DirectX 8 PCI-E video card.

:confused:

Dr DMoney said:
Well, I just got into all the hardware aspect of things 2 weeks ago so I don't know everything yet. I was only confused, so I looked and read. Who cares. Well, I will be vista ready once I get my pc but yeah I just a noob so I lack information sometimes. Sorry for the confusion.

That's fine. I'm glad that you're learning and I don't mean to discourage you. I just really couldn't understand what you were trying to say.

good points, vaderpro. It also has to do with the age of your current hardware and when you last upgraded. I did my last major windows build a little over 2 years ago I think, so when the prices on CPUs I've been watching for the past 6-9 months start dropping so much and the new stuff is coming in, it looks like a great time to upgrade to me. Plus, I have plans for my current components once I do upgrade. :) Since I'll need all new RAM it'll be even easier for me to use my current stuff for a file server or media center.

I like to do "dry runs" of builds or upgrades in my NewEgg shopping cart from time to time and the ones I did yesterday were some of the best values I've seen in a while.

Dr DMoney said:

As someone (I think The General) put it: Vista is just an operating system, nothing more. No need for extra special compatible hardware or anything like that.

Yeah, but all the games after vista will need vista for all the bells and wilsles. You will also need a direct x 10 card at will.

SNiPeRViRuS said:
Quick queston. Direct X 10 cards will run through PCI Express 16 right?

I assume so, seeing as all the new cards are PCI Express x16 and all the new motherboards have PCI Express x16 slots. Of course we don't know if some new interface might come out soon, but I doubt that will happen, I mean, PCI-E is still being changed over to, it's pretty new still.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom