USB Not in Hispeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtpacygax

Banned
Hi, I have a external hard drive plugged into highspeed ports and hispeed is selected in the bios, however i keep getting a ballon pop up saying my usb device is not plugged into a high speed port wtf. can some one tell me the solution to this, i have been trying to fix this a while and it is starting to **** me off.

what is your motherboard? Many mobo's that i have used are still USB 1.1

I would recommend buying a USB 2.0 PCI card and using the HD on that.

i would buy a PCI usb 2.0 controller that should fix the problem.

EDIT: hahaha said same thing as talldude :)

Thanks, that worked. I still wonder why my usb ports on my motherboard don't work hispeed even though they are USB 2.0. oh well, it works though.

xtpacygax said:
Thanks, that worked. I still wonder why my usb ports on my motherboard don't work hispeed even though they are USB 2.0. oh well, it works though.

onboard stuff fails alot or mabey something wasnt set right in the BIOS but PCI thing worked so dont worry about it :)

Hello,

...There isn't anything wrong. The balloon tip in Windows is correct. Your onboard USB ports are Full Speed ports, not High Speed ports.

Full Speed and High Speed are different terms referring to different USB data rates.

Low Speed is 1.5 Mbps

Full Speed is 12 Mbps

High Speed is 480 Mbps

A lot of people get this confused, and manufacturers are largely to blame because of their false, inaccurate and misleading branding.

Full Speed devices are commonly referred to as USB 1.0 or 1.1 devices, because they have the potential to reach those speeds. However, not all USB 1.0 or 1.1 devices can operate at Full Speed, but can only operate at Low Speed which is 1.5 Mbps.

High Speed devices are commonly referred to as USB 2.0, because they have the potential to reach those speeds. However, not all USB 2.0 devices operate at High Speed. Some USB 2.0 devices can only operate at Full Speed which is only a max of 12 Mbps, or even just Low Speed.

Manufacturers identify the fact that if a product is labelled as USB 2.0 or USB 2.0 Full Speed, consumers instantly assume that it is a High Speed device, and so operates at 480 Mbps. But don't let this fool you :freak: ! When shopping for USB devices, be sure to check out the data transfer speed, and not just the 1.0/1.1/2.0 specification - because this doesn't indicate speed.

Your PCI USB 2.0 card is High Speed compatible, hence why you don't get the high speed balloon tip in Windows, and why data transfers are faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom