An overclocking burnout

Status
Not open for further replies.

dipique

In Runtime
I tried OCing my computer the other day and I'm afraid I screwed something up pretty badly. I boosted the voltage on my AMD 64 3000+ to the CPU 7.5% and it overclocked to 2.4ghz and seemed to be stable. Then I restarted.

The computer will post normally, but at the part where XP shows the progress bar and windows logo, it fades in partially but not all theway and never starts scrolling. If I try it in safe mode, it stops at the mup.sys file. I tried using Knoppix 4.0, but it froze up almost immediately.

My only hint as to what went wrong is that my keyboard works (as in, I was able to get into safe mode using keyboard short cuts), but it won't work in the bios. What's going on with that?

Any opinions would be helpful. Thanks,

Dan

Oh, one more thing: when I tried booting with Knoppix, I removed the hard drives so it can't be my windows installation. I also tried taking out each stick of ram individually, so it's not the ram.

Dan

have you tried setting it back to the original frequency and voltage it sounds like you just have an unstable frequency.

I took the CMOS battery out and then put it back in, and the POST said it reset to defaults. But the keyboard still doesn't work inside the BIOS screen, and all the problems are the same. I had already tried clearing the settings using the jumper, but I thought I'd tried taking out the battery too just in case. No luck.

Dan

have you tried using another keyboard ? i doubt thats the problem but this is why i tell people to not overclock stuff like this happens all the time when you try to increase voltage or speed when it is not ment to it screws up your system i dont get why people risk their whole system for the sake of a few mhz. but anyways thats all i can think of if you have reset the bios and everything you most likley fried something.

My mobo is a pretty cheap one; I'm guessing (and hoping) that's what fried... anyways, I'll try using a different keyboard.

Dan

If you are using a USB keyboard some BIOSes are not plug and play compatible and will only work with the PS/2 connection

gaara said:
If you are using a USB keyboard some BIOSes are not plug and play compatible and will only work with the PS/2 connection

it stopped working after he worked on the pc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom