Mobo and ram compatibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

snoopy7548

Solid State Member
i'm getting a new computer soon and i think i'm going to go with the athlon-64 3400+ cpu and the asus k8v deluxe mobo. i just have one question though. on the asus site, it has a list of ram that is compatible with that mobo, and the crucial xms pro ddr400 pc3200 (512mb) w/led lights wasn't on the list. does anyone know if it will still work? i've read a lot of things and a lot of people are having ram compatibility issues with that motherboard. should i just get a different motherboard?

the ram that's on that list is probably just what they tested. it would take them a long time to test every type and make of module, so i'm sure what you're looking at will work.

as for looking at a new motherboard, yes, do it. the motherboard will be the backbone of your system. it can make a great videocard suck or a fast cpu unstable. look for a mobo with a lot of positive reviews. in my opinion, deciding which mobo to buy is the most important and hardest desicion to make when building a computer.

Also, just as a quick FYI.

If you mix Different types of memory (PC3200 with PC 2400) it will still work but the motherboard will slow down the faster memory speed to the slowest for performance reasons. (the PC3200 will go down to PC2400)

And of course it really depends on what your fastes/slowest memory speed is.

n_derr is correct. However, some asus boards are (from what I've heard and experienced myself) a bit picky when it comes to ram compatibility.

I don't have any info about that mobo in particular, but asus boards have a good reputation in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom