New Computer - Big Problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tscully

Solid State Member
Here's the problem. Randomly, doing anything on my new computer, the entire system will lock up, but i'll still be able to see my cursor. If I keep the cursor still, nothing happens, it just stays frozen, however, if I move the cursor, the screen blinks black whenever I move it. No idea what the heck is wrong, only way to fix it is through the reset button, can't ctrl-alt-delete or alt-tab or anything, ONLY move the mouse.

I'm using:

AMD Skt AM2 Motherboard M2N32-SLi Deluxe
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ Dual Core
2gb Corsair RAM
Nvidia GeForce 7900 GTX 512mb PCI-Express

Tried with driver versions 91.31 and 91.36. Thoughts?

Hello,

Is this a home custom built PC or a retail PC?

I would boot in to safe mode and see if the same occurs.

A retail PC, not a custom built. I'll try safe mode, and see if it still happens.

any recent upgrades or new hardware installs? what does your system event viewer show for the time frame of the problem?

Nope, it's literally 3 days old. Brand new, fresh XP Pro install. The odd thing is that it doesn't totally lock up, as I said, the cursor will still move, but whenever I do move it, the screen will blink black. I still have to use the reset button to actually do anything though.

wow 3 days thats sucks, have you tried calling the retailing or taking it back to the store you bought it from.

Hm, progress. I updated my drivers, and now instead of the blinking, I get a full system freeze and a BSOD, claiming that nv4_disp has caused the device to go into an infinite loop.

I'm probably gonna get laughed at, but I really have no clue about installing chipset drivers or anything related to my motherboard. I have an Asus AMD Skt AM2 Motherboard M2N32-SLi Deluxe if that helps.

EDIT: For some reason, whenever this happens, all of the icons on my desktop get squished up like i'd switched to 640 x 480 resolution

anyone with half a brain wouldnt laugh at ya, but i would really just send it back, take it back to the store. if its a dell call them and send it back. i mean 3 days old you should even have to be tryign to fix anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom