Life expectancy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masta_Gomes

Baseband Member
Well I recently got myself an XFX 256MB 6800XTreme card for my outdated agp slot, and am soon (that being around 2-3) going to purchase another two sticks of Kingston 512MB PC3200 ram. So in total if you look at my sig, my rig will have 2 GB of ram, the above graphics card.....add in an x-fi xtrememusic in the not too distant future too.

Now I know it's hard to "predict" the technological life expectancy of my rig in terms or gaming and the news windows, but will do you think that the computer will at least get a good stint into mid next yr, so lasting well for another year? As I don't want my purchases to be a 3-4 month thing!!

For anyone who suggest I should've gone the 7800GS or something, I wasn't willing to fork out around $500AU.

It will still be able to play games for the next year but how well is very vague as no one will know.

How about until the end of the year, all games that will come out from what we've seen, my rig should be able to hold those games on at LEAST mid settings right? especially with the 6800XT and 2 GB of ram (for all the games that will start to take advantage of the 2GB).

Your cpu is holding you back.. a 3.2ghz p4 is getting outdated quickly. I think if you upgrade to a Athlon64 x2 or a E6300-E6400 you pc will do just fine, you'll just have to buy a pci-e video card when you do upgrade to that level.

i have p4 presscott, it works perfectly fine <_<
but just OC your system till you buy another one, especially the AGP, so you could get a bit more out of your card ;)

EDIT: but, yea, the p4 will be dead around next year this time, as its not dual core :/

depends on the consumer...I buy a car and I keep it for 6-12 years or more. My computers, maybe 5-8 years.

Some people live by the code of trade ins/up...a new car every 1-3 years, a new computer every 1-2 :D

Yeah I thought if it were any part of the computer it would be the CPU that would bring my demise, and since I just purchased this card I don't want to waste my money in upgrading now, so I guess i'll pull out as much as I can from this computer as possible.

In regards to overclocking I know that to a certain limit it's relatively safe but in truth I'd rather keep my computer just how I bought it, no overclocking as I have this negative vibe to overclocking for some bizarre reason....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom