RAM timings to stabilize OC - help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Willeh

In Runtime
Hey, just tried a little oc on my amd64 3500+ [2.2 to 2.3ghz] to try things out before going any further then did a test with prime95 and a test with memtest, results were unstable system.
So then I started to loosen the ram timings from the default [3-4-3-8] to 3-4-4-8, then I tried to loosen some more and still no luck in stabilising the system. My voltage for my cpu is at 1.5V and ram voltage is at 2.8V. I'm trying to figure out how to find the exact timings to stabilize the system so I can proceed with the oc into higher speeds for the cpu.
If anyone can help with this I'd be v grateful..

EDIT: Ram details. 2x 512mb dual channel pc3200

Oh right ok, but I thought pc3200 ram could handle a bit and was a good option to oc with.

PC3200 is guaranteed DDR400 (200MHZ) but that's it.

some RAM rated at PC3200 can handle up to 300MHZ (usually a fair bit more expensive), some RAM rated at PC3200 won't even get 201MHZ.

for example my set of DDR400 is good for about 260mhz because of the Winbond chips it uses. Samsung TCCD has similar capabilities. as a rule you should never expect a component to perform outside it's certified specifications. while it may be well known that certain processors and memory tend to overclock well it will never be guaranteed

What manufacturer of RAM do you have? If it is ValueRam by Corsair, or a similar manufacturer it ought to take more...

did you try lowering the RAM speed in the BIOS, say to 133 or 166?

The Vcore looks about right, though I don't know the specs for your CPU off the top of my head.

How are your temps? Got good cooling?

What core-type is your CPU? Different cores from the same manufacturer, that are the same model often have different properties.

My bios doesn't have ram speed changing options so all I have is AMD 64 tweaker.
My temps are about 33 idle and 40 at full load so cooling is good for me.
I'll need to check up on ram can't remember the brand [even though I got it like 2 months ago:S]

If my ram can't handle higher speeds when I'm upiing my fsb, I can then oc with upping the multiplier can't I?

The problem is that A64 tweaker won't set these parameters at the bios level, they are just set using the motherboard/cpu drivers. When you reboot and run memtest, the settings go back to the bios level. If your motherboard doesn't support tweaking the cpu/ram clock, then chances are if you tweak it with A64, you won't get very good results.

I'm using a program called memtester which tests RAM in windows so after when I applied the settings, I can just then go onto memtest and test the new ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom