New processor or just more RAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zill

Solid State Member
Hallo~
I have a question, I'm trying to decide if I should get a better processor or just get more RAM.

I'm trying to get my PC more tolerant of newer games(i.e. Oblivion/Dark Messiah/etc) and I've been told getting more RAM is often just as good as getting a better processor, but sometimes it's better just to start bigger.

My basic specs are:

2.40 GHz, Pentium 4
1.50 GB RAM
GeForce 6800

With games like Oblivion, Condemned or Dark Messiah, I get to near-crippling (i.e. 3 to 6) FPS(even at the lowest settings) in open, more graphic demanding areas, but with almost-just-as-new games like Half-Life 2, Call of Cthulhu, and Quake 4 I hit decent to perfect framerates with max settings.

So what would you all recommend? RAM is cheaper, but supposedly sometimes RAM doesn't do the job all-around as a processor would. Or would it be just as good either way?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

what is the pin number.
i say upgrade the processor to something above 3.0
you will see a huge difference.

Looks like u need an upgrade on all 3 of those items...i doubt another 512 is gonna make a huge diff...but you wont know until u try...what socket cpu are you?

Sorry, but how would I go about checking my socket CPU?
I wish I knew how to do this before I posted ;p I didn't want people to feel like they accidentally posted into a "tutor the noob!" thread.

CPU-Z says ...

--CPU--
Package = mPGA-478
Technology = 0.13 um
Voltage = 1.136
Brand ID = 9
CodeName = Northwood
Family + Ext. = F
Model + Ext. = 2
Step = 9
Revis = D1
Instruct = MMX, SSE, SSE2

--Mainboard--
Model = P4SD-LA
Chipset = i865P/PE/G/i848P
Southbr = 82801EB (ICH5)
Rev = A2
Manufact = ASUSTek
Vers = AGP 3.0

I don't know where exactly to look, so I hope out of those I listed what you asked.

as far as i can tell it is a socket 478 processor, im not sure tho
also have you considered upgrading the graphics card instead?

I updated about 6 months ago from a GeForce FX 5200 to a GeForce 6800. I could try a new card, but I'd like to rule out RAM and Processor before I do that, unless you guys think my card is definitely a big source of the problem.

I believe Oblivion's recommended specs said a 6800 or better, so I don't think my card is the problem. It's my processor that doesn't fit the recommended for games like Oblivion(they recommend a 3.0 or better), but before I get a processor I want to make sure getting more RAM won't do the job just as well.

(see where I'm going? I wanna rule out RAM before I'll get a processor, and rule out processor before I'll get a new GPU)

what kind of ram do you have? how many chips? etc.. give us all the info, it'll also be on cpu-z..

if its PC3200, i have a good suggestion that'll involve upgrading to a socket 939 board. if its PC2700, then i'd recommend upgrading mobo/cpu/ram ... and socket would depend on budget...

if your ram is pc3200, then this is what i would do:

get this mobo and cpu:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16813157081

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16819103531

(if there is more room in your budget, do consider getting a dual core cpu, or if your budget is even tighter than this, then there's a good chip for $65)

and if this were an ideal world, you would have 3 memory sticks of 512 PC3200, and when combined with this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?item=N82E16820146846

you'll have 2gigs running in dual channel ram (50% chance it'll work.. since ram isn't identical..)

you'll be able to use all your existing components... and if your gaming performance is still low, then you'll have to get a new video card...

total: $221

but give us more details on your ram.. hehe.. my advice may become irrelevant..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom