Building a game server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
gurusan said:

Also consider a RAID 0 setup....you don't want players to wait too long for the server to load a level :)

Are there any good tutorials out there? I really don't know too much about RAID, although I've heard it's pretty **** easy to setup. Also, is there any reason i shouldn't go with the miniATX setup? The space I can save will be a big plus in my dorm ;)

RAID 0 is pretty easy...first you will need a mobo that supports it though...like something with a nForce4 chipset.

If you are looking for a socket 939 setup I actually have some things that I need to sell that you might be interested in...

Case, PSU, nforce4 motherboard, brand new DVD-ROM drive, even a 3700+ CPU (same core as San Diego)....which is a great stepping.

As for the micro ATX....motherboards are limited for that setup and so you might have trouble finding a mobo with a RAID controller...also small cases like that tend to be hotter.

Can't believe no one mentioned reliability

First thing to consider is power. You absolutely need a good power supply even moreso in this situation as server = 24/7 use. I would probably recommend a PCP&C as they have better efficency and will thus save money on your electricity bill. You may also want to consider surge protector/UPS

THEN focus on your actual hardware. As mentioned opterons are more reliable as they are binned at one speed and then significantly downclocked so they should absolutely work at said speed without ever crashing IMO. You also of course want RAM that is not going to cause a problem

And then drive space/speed. Faster drives will result in faster loading times which basically means you can load and switch maps and such faster. 7200RPM should be enough as mentioned. Then you get to reliability. Immediately what comes to mind is RAID1 or RAID5 although there are other RAID options and even RAID is not entirely foolproof (and expensive at that)

Cooling is also important if it's going to be running 24/7 especially if it's going to be under heavy load. Of course you also want to focus specifically on your internet speed, specifically upload bandwidth

I really don't see the point in a mirror array.

out of all my years with computers, I have never had a hard drive fail on me....ever. **** I still have a quantum fireball 20gb working from like 1995 and it's been on about 24/7 ever since it was purchased. Worked hard too.

Just curious...would there be any issues with the setup I've chosen? I would most definitely upgrade the PSU to a 500W or higher.

I also assumed that the microATX form factor would run hot, just becuase you have so much hardware running so close together. The case I chose only has one 120mm fan with no side air duct, however, I've been to LAN parties with guys who use the game case, and have jammed a 7800GTX and an AMX FX-57 with some other serious hardware without the case ever rising above 30C which I found hard to believe.

As you can understand, my rig now is an Aspire X-Navigator, its a pretty huge computer. I'd really like to avoid having something this large. Any other suggestions? Thanks for being so helpfull, I'm glad I chose tech-forums. I can tell you right now it's a lot better than some forums I've visited...

Another question, can I run more than one server at a time on this IE: A CS:S server and a Quake server. I'm guessing it's possible, but the real question is would it slow it down beyond playable. Also, could i host a website on this?

Forgot to ask...

Will I be able to support this server on a home network with my cable connection? What kind of bandwidth does a server like this require?

gaara said:
Immediately what comes to mind is RAID1 or RAID5 although there are other RAID options and even RAID is not entirely foolproof (and expensive at that)

Yup thats what I said RAID 5 would be my choice.

Also what about Back up power supplys, you know, just in case.

Ekustix said:
Just did a speed test and got 12.6 down 1.7 up, if that helps

12.6mbit down and 1.7mbit up?

what kind of connection do you have? That's incredibly fast, and most definitely enough.

High Speed access...Patmedia.net

anyways...can I host a website as well on this server?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom