Overclocking an Athlon XP 3000+ (Noob question(S))

Status
Not open for further replies.

csw3190

In Runtime
I'm currently running a stock Emachines T3025 with a brand new WD Caviar 160GB hard drive (only HD). the case fan seems decent size (3" maybe") and the processer has probly like a 1.5" fan with a heatsink below it. i was wondering what the risks of overclocking this thing would be, to what extent (final speed) i could overclock it, what kinda cooling i would need and...how to do the thing. any answers will be appreciated. sry for the newb question.
PS. Running phoenix bios
PPS. would it help overclocking with an open (one side) case? with like a floor fan blowing in? :)

The Risk of overclocking a processor is destroying the processor.

The final overclock speed will be determined by temperature and stability of the system.

You should invest in some aftermarket cooling. Usualy, the stock coolers are ok but an overclocked system needs more.

You overclock a processor by going into the BIOS and adjusting the FSB speed and the CPU multiplier.

The fan blowing into the open case might add a small benefit, but personally, i wouldn't worry about it. Just get some case fans, they work fine.

Thanx...would:
1) using an opensided case help?
2) it be wise to purchase a new case that supports more fans (since the stock one only supports one case fan)?
thanx, again

just get a better heatsink, temps should never stop an overclocker.. dunno about that, the stability of the system is a variable though, some people can overclock as the same speeds and some are very unstable some a very stable.. so that's really the only factor, destroying your cpu don't even worry, as long as you're planning to upgrade in the next fives years or so, don't worry

stable...like consistantly operate @ oc-ed speed or crashes or what. sry i'm kinda a nOOb in this area of stuff. also, is there a noticable difference in aftermarked heatsinx? thanx again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom