Acer AL2216WBD -- no HDCP?? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

BloodyFinger

Solid State Member
Hi! I just ordered the Acer AL2216WBD. I'm reading now that it's been discontinued and the reason is that it doesn't have HDCP. Is this going to stop me from watching movies on my computer or using video inputs for recording live tv? What does this mean for me? Help! Oh, btw, if you're wondering NCIX now has them for $400 canadian which is an AWESOME deal if this lack of HDCP isn't a big deal...

BloodyFinger said:
Is this going to stop me from watching movies on my computer or using video inputs for recording live tv?

I am not quite sure what u mean by this.

In anycase. HDCP is a form of content protection. It is a very WEAK system mind you - since it was fully cracked by cryptographers (guys with math PhDs, and not these noobs that call themselves "hackers") a few years ago.

Essentially, if you were to connect a display device that does not support HDCP, to source device (DVD player, cable box, PVR, etc.) that does support HDCP, the SOURCE will not transmit anything. The HDCP specification dictates this. So, if the monitor doesn't support it, but the source does, then your monitor will not get any signal.

Some sources do transmit, but downgraded signals (i.e. lower resolutions). And some allow you to disable HDCP on the "source" (e.g. DVD player). Really depends on what device you have. If you elaborate more on your question, I can give you a more detailed answer.

I'm using it as my computer monitor........ I'm just wondering if this is really going to effect anything I'm doing.

Well.. Not for the most part. But, some CPUs actually do start to support HDCP. Which means, that if you are trying to play copyrighted content, the CPU will act as a HDCP source and will expect the monitor to be compliant.

For example, the Intel 945G line of CPUs is believed to have HDCP support I think. I am not sure about other CPUs both in Intel and AMD. But, I would presume that this is going to be a "feature" in the future - if not already.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom