Partioning

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabador

Baseband Member
ok i want to put linux red hat on my second hard drive it has about 92gb free n i wanna put 20 of that into a seperate partion for my linux stuff. i wanna keep xp as my usual use operating system for now, until i see which is better. i also wanna keep all the data on my hard drive just want a part of it, so if theres a way to do this without formating that would be nice.

thanks for the help

first u need to clarify ... Are u tryin' to install on a second harddrive or a second partition??

OK, you want to install Linux on your secondary drive that you are currently using to store files... right?

If that is the case you will need something like Partition Magic, so you can change the size of the drive partitions without loosing your data.

is there a way to unallocate memory on that drive without requiring a reformat using windows?

i downloaded the demo but it wont work, i tell it to apply changes n procedures n whatever but nothing happens am i doing something wrong?

That's b'coz Partition Magic is not Freeware ....
Herez what u do .

Ranish Partition Manager is by far one of the best freeware partitionig tools i've ever used ... I've been using it from it's beta stages ..n' it's great.
Anywayz .. Download it..

1. Defragment your disk.
2. Run partition manager and change partition size in TWO places: partition table and boot record° (you get there when you press Enter). Make sure the size does not drop below minimum partition size.
3. Reboot computer and run SCANDISK to check for errors / adjust FAT-32 free space.
4. Create new partitions.

° In ur case i don't think u have a boot record ..since it's ur second drive...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom