windows crashed

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi,
My computer crashed again, i think it was my hard disk. (wd 160 Gig, ATA100)

i had left it on overnight, and when i woke up in the morning i had the blue screen(is that that BSOD?) and the message

KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

with these numbers
STOP : 0x00000077 ( 0xC00000185, 0xc00000185, 0x00000000, 0x00af4000)

i tried to restart the machine, however it did not detect the drive. i turned it off for a couple of minutes, and then removed the powerand ide cable from the hard drive and put them back in as they were before.

the machine started with no problem.

is my hard disk on the way out? or was this a faulty ide cable issue?

i have had a problem with my hard disk before, i put it down to jumper setting last time, but now i am worried

that is true the link i gave you said it could be a boot sector virus
i would also check for that

but you wouldnt be able to boot since you did.

do a virus scan

and maybe change the cables

One of the most annoying parts of being a technician is thinking its a bad hard drive or something of that sort and having it be a stupid IDE cable. It happens. Start from the source and then work your way down/up.

i am running windows xp
so you guys think it was just a bad IDE cable, not a virus since i was able to boot up later.

do you think it could be the ide connector on the mobo playing games(now you see me, now you dont)

I'd wait before going and buying anything. sometimes the cable just needs to be reseated and that can fix it. HDD doesn't sound bad. Put it to IDE needing reseating, then if it still does the same thing try a new IDE but you may be fine with just a reseat. sometimes it does happen.

you could, but I think if its working now you should be fine. the cable just needed reseating. if it does it again, then try another cable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom