Upgrading Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

iamchardy

Solid State Member
This is a simple and small topic just for me... (heh) But I would really like an answer from someone who knows more than me.

I would like to upgrade of my computer, but I am not sure which would be best for my system. This upgrade is purely for GAMING reasons and I would do both If I had the funds to do so. As far as anything besides gaming, (music, writing, burning, or web browsing) my machine works great!

Here is my system:

AMD 64 3200 at 2.2 Ghz (220x10)
EVGA NF-47 Nforce 4 Sli x16 mainboard
2GB Corsair XMS 3200 @ 400mhz 2.5,3,3,6
EVGA Geforce 7900 GT KO 560 core, 1750 memory (256 mb) N564
Demon 580 W PSU +12volt at 24 amps
Creative Sound Audigy SE
LiteOn DvD burner
Maxtor 120GB 7200rpm 8mb cache Serial ATA 1.5gb/s(Game drive)
Seagate 80GB 7200rpm 8mb cache Serial ATA 1.5gb/s(System Drive)

I want to upgrade my processor to a AMD 64 4000+ SanDiego (And overclock to 2.6 GHZ) I would go dual core, but I have read many reviews and decided I don't need one.

Or I could go SLI WITH A SECOND 7900 GT. I have read about SLi and determined that two 7900 GT's would be better than 1 7900 GTX in my Full 16x PCI-express motherboard. (performance is not completely doubled through SLI but now with better boards, it comes quite close.)

I can only buy one now, and probobly not the other for a few months. My question is, which one should I buy first?

Would a better processor be best for gaming? Would my old processor hold back two 7900 GT's perfomance? Or should I buy a faster hard drive?

The SLi 7900GT's would do you better than the 4000+ would.

When it comes down to it, in gaming GPU > CPU.

Thanks for the advice General!

I was thinking the same thing, but do you think my 3200 processor will hinder my new dual 7900 GT's? I am worried that if I get a GPU before a faster CPU, I will not see much of a performance differnece....

you will the graphics cards dont really comunicate with the cpu they kind of do their own thing just be sure you have sufficient power :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom