WMP problems with video duration

Status
Not open for further replies.

TboneMcGraw

Beta member
Hello all :)

I am having a problem with Windows Media Player. I open a video, and it displays the duration wrong. By this I mean for example a video I know is a complete download that should be 30:00 minutes long displays in WMP as 1:30. So when WMP reaches 1:30 it pauses play (but is still playing the audio for the full 30:00) I can rewind and it will go to a point in the video that I know is beyond 1:30 but will display around 0:45 and then quit again at 1:30. What is more odd is that some vids are completely unaffected, while others are totally messed up. It is also happening to old downloads I know worked properly before.

Please note that 30:00 and 1:30 is just an example; as some vids should be 20min but display 2:46. Another vid should display 16:39 but says its 3:06 and so on. So there seems to be no real pattern to the error.

I was running WMP 9 when this was happening, when it started happening I updated to WMP 10 to see if it would fix it and it did not.

I am running windows XP pro 2002 with servise pack 2 with all updates. W#ith the latest version of WMP version: 10.00.00.3646

I don't remember installing anything at the time the error started occuring, my virus software is up to date. I'm stumped.

Also please note. I am not a complete idiot when it comes to computors, but I am also not an expert. So don't get too technical when you explain things. Or explain things in detail, right down to pushing the "any key" ;)

do the videos play in another media player like quicktime, divx, ect.. also is it any certain file type that it does this with?

It seems both WMW's, mpeg's and mpg's are all affected but not every one is, some will work while others are affected.

The only other player I have is quicktime so I tried opening the affected files with QT and the same problem occurs. Should I download a different player, and try? if so Do you recomend any I'm not a 'realplayer' fan. I also dislike winamps video playback features.

If you're looking for another video player to test them in, I would check out VLC. It's a great video player, so if you have the same problems with it as you did with WMP, then it might just be the video files themselves, rather than the player.

Well I gave VLC a try and tried all the video's. They work! without any problems. Videos that should be 5:00 are 5:00. Vids that should be 27.56 are.

To: jcortes

I thought about the possibility of a virus. I do remember now getting a "trojan downloader" a while back. That came from a P2P. AVG did clean it but it may have done some damage before it was cleaned. How could I fix WMP? I know its not as simple as uninstalling and reinstalling, because the registry is still there. But I dont know enough to mess with the registry. Besides I allready updated to WMP 10 and that did squat.

BTW thank you all for helping :)

Glad I could help. Now hopefully Warez's guide will allow you to get WMP working properly again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom