windows will not shut down

Status
Not open for further replies.

chanellhopper

Beta member
Hello all,
i have a problem i'm running windows XP pro, and it will not shut down. When i go to shut down i go to start , turn off computer. i then get the to the Box with the three boxes, Stand By, Turn off and Restart. i get there and the page starts to fade When i get to this box the stand by box is shaded out when i click on turn off button the computer starts to shut down the screen go'es black then it boots up again at this point i pull the plug.

often times when a system error occurs windows will automatically reboot in your case the system error is happening on shut down therefore by disabling automatic restart we can get the error and diagnose the problem :) let us know what the error is if you get one. good luck.

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Take your network card out or disable it in BIOS (if it's build into the board), turn the machine up, let Windows update the new changes. Now try and shut it down and see if it will turn on by itself again.

jcortes said:
often times when a system error occurs windows will automatically reboot in your case the system error is happening on shut down therefore by disabling automatic restart we can get the error and diagnose the problem :) let us know what the error is if you get one. good luck.

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”

Thanks for the advice, the Automatic restart was unchecked when i went to look as you advised
cheers Chanellhopper.

Law said:
Take your network card out or disable it in BIOS (if it's build into the board), turn the machine up, let Windows update the new changes. Now try and shut it down and see if it will turn on by itself again.

Thanks for the advice,but when it comes to computers i'm a luddite and i do not know much about the insides ofcomputers. I had a look at the bios but could not see any mention of a net work card. Just one more thing i did reinstall xp and i had no sound so i installed sound card do you think that's what causing the problem
cheers chanellhopper

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom