Whining case fan, refuses to spin...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alvin.C

Fully Optimized
Hello,

I'm experiencing a problem with my Antec case fan. But not just my Antec case fan in particular...this is happening with whatever cooling fan I use.

I noticed that my PSU fan spinning fast for an extended amount of time, so I popped open the case, to find what was wrong. I discovered that the case fan wasn't spinning. I shut the system down.

Now, when I POST, the case fan connected to the chasis fan connector on my motherboard, doesn't spin. It was working fine before. Well...the fan tries to spin, resulting in a whining sound produced by the fan's electromagnets, but remains stationary. Again, I've tried connecting other fans to this connector, but the same problems occurs. Only when I spin it manually to give it a jump start, does it begin to oscillate, but slowly.

My heatsink fan works fine, however.

Here's an MOV video of what happens (turn volume up to hear the whining):

http://www.hyperzone.org.uk/misc/08-06_000.mov

For a long time now, I have been experiencing overheating problems with my system...this is just worstening it.

Anyone know what's wrong :umm: ? Is it a power problem related to my PSU, or is there a problem with my motherboard?

i think its because of an under powers PSU, i mean 300 watts is in your sig is that the one you are using ? i dont think thats nearly enough power and that would explain why when you push it fan it starts to spin slowly and why no other fans work, you dont have enough juice to power it.

Hello,

Okies cheers :D...

...Over time I have added stuff & upgraded the system, but didn't upgrade my PSU because it seemed to be able to cope - perhaps not.

Anyways, I've been looking into buying a new PSU (600w with large internal fan instead of an external 80mm fan) to help cure my overheating problems. Hopefully it will fix this too.

...I'm hoping it's my 300w PSU that's causing the problem, because I don't want to spend more money having to buy a new motherboard too :(.

I'll see how it goes :umm: .

are all the additional power connectors for the mobo in?

sounds like the fan simply does not have adequate voltage, could well be damaged mobo. The system in your sig should be fine on a 300w PSU, might be that the PSU is failing though.

Personally i'd just get a 3 pin -> molex converter cable and hook that fan to a spare molex.

My mobo only requires the standard 20-pin ATX connector, and that's undamaged and firmly in place.

..mmmnn...I suppose I could. I do have one I can use. But then it would sound like a jet engine, and I'd like it to be system controlled.

...I guess I could get a variable fan controller for it :confused: .

I have a strong hunch that my mobo is to blame...but I've been wanting to buy a new PSU with a larger fan anyways for better cooling, so I'll see if a new PSU fixes this too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom