broadband trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

duncan9562

In Runtime
when using the internet, it randomly disconnects. i get this error message come up. "Generic Host Process - Win32 Services - Generic Host Process for windows 32 services has encountered a problem and needs to close...blah blah. Has anyone got any ideas on this? Im using a 1 mb Tiscali adsl line. Thanks guys. Im relying on you! :)

That is an os problem generic host is windows and an os service is crashing. if this has just started then do a system restore to before the problem started.

I actually had a lady bring me in a laptop today which she said was having this same issue and same error message..now I didnt test this before working on it as if it was infected with something I didnt want it to spread on our network :)

Weird thing was I ran spyware scans with ad-aware, spybot, ms defender beta 2 and they all came up clean..installed virus scan software with updates and nothing..I just ended up deleting all temp files, removing all items from start up except virus scan, installing service pack 2 for XP, all security updates, and was then able to surf the net fine for 40 minutes with no error messages.

What are your OS specs and service pack level? What type of spyware/viri software you have installed?

this is actualy my gf's latptop. its got windows xp pro with sp2. using sophos anti virus. ive run spybot s&d. i was going to run ad-aware and do a virus scan but have you any other ideas?

another thing, i knw if you end the svchost.exe in task manager that uses about 16 meg of ram, the task bar and dialogue boxes revert back to windows classic type theme..............it does this after it brings up the error message.

You should never EVER end things like svchost svhost.. they are windows VITAL components..

After this error occurs, what else can't you do besides access the internet?.. can you ping your modem?.. like flashdude said.. System restore or format/system repair

ya svchost.exe is ment to be there just to make you feel better mine is running at 43,480k try what Win2kpatcher suggested and if that doesnt help preform a repair on the os.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom