Bios Beeps on Gigabyte mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gilly

Beta member
Hi guys - new here - and just read a post by someone esle who had a very similar problem.
I'm using a gigabyte kn8s ultra 939 mobo - thats been working fine. But my old Hdd was playing up - and itme for a new one - so got a new one and wasbout halfway thgouth all the reinstalling stuff when it hit monday...
monday and tues gotta use comp for work so replugged old hdd in... no probs as yet.
Last night i decided to carry on with the reinstalling (just prgs and stuff now - sp2 full installed etc..)
but Zone alarm, while running a spyscan gives me error - tires to shut down C++ visual basic - please reboot.
Its late and i cant be arsed - so i shut down and decide to plug in old hhd - so i can watch a dvd and fall asleep.. BUT .. old hhd doesnt boot -
Just get beeps ..arrrgh
so try new hhd - same thing
that tells me must be hardware prob...
So far i've tried all sorts - unpluged and replugged everything except cpu - gonna do that now (bloody zalman fan is in the way and not easy to undo!)
Tried combos of ram in different slots, tried removing and replacing video card, even reset cmos... nothing!
its award bios - and the beeep code is one long, then continous short..
in the manual is gives one long - 9 short as the maximum (starting with a long one) and that is Bios rom error - (but its supposed to be dual bios...so that shouldnt be it)
and continous short in the manual is power error ...
Absolutely at my wits end guys - so any help is much appriciated - bar taking a hammer to the bloody thing!
i think thats all the info that is needed -any other bits i've left out please let me know - need to get my pc back and working asap as i do all my audio work on it :(
Thanks in advance,
Tom

sorry i should also add, as i'm new here - that i'm really sorry if this is a repeat post - i'm sure that others have had the same kinda probs - and have read a few, but for the dons that moderate, etc.. sorry if it is!

That's a memory beep code. Did you try just one stick at a time? You can try some other ram but if it still the same the board is toast.

Thanks Flash dude - yes i tried that to no avail i'm afriad..
But i tell what is sooo typical..
I post here, tearing my hair out - with one last thing to do - remove the cpu fan and cpu an replace them and see if that works...
Well i've got thermal grease all over myself (stop sniggering!) and tentatively pressed the powerbutton expecting to get beeped at again
but no!
It works!
**** yeah - back on track! I have no idea how removing the fan and cpu and putting them back has fixed it - no idea whatsoever!
but it works - just have to redo settings in cmos and i'm off.
Typical! - always the last thing you try!
Anyway Happy now - :) - thanks anyway guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom