Fans start up, nothing else happens!

Status
Not open for further replies.

slurpee222

Baseband Member
Hey, my computer recently took a turn for the worse, at first it wouldnt turn on, only after about 6 tries of unplugging the power cord in and out that it would turn on. Now it turns on fine, but nothing boots up, no beeps, no sound from the anything, just the fans. Power is getting to the motherboard as the fans/green light is on, but that is all that happens.
Ive tried switching video cards, alternating the ram, re-plugging everything in, and still the same thing. Does anyone know a cause for all this? I was thinking the processor or the harddrive, but my friend says it could be the motherboard (which i just bought 3 months ago)

Thanks guys.

Windows XP
Asus A7N8X motherboard
1600+ Athlon
786 DDR Ram
GeForce 3 64mb
Soundblaster 5.1

At first glance I would have thought the memory was bad but you have installed them in different configurations and still not boot. So, basically you are getting some power to the fans but not enough power to anything else. Are you getting any beeps? If you are getting no beeps then I would think it is likely the processor. Do you have another processor to try? It does not seem like a mobo issue but even at only 3 months old the motherboard could still have gone bad. I would check the processor first. This has happened to me before and when I swapped out the processor the system booted fine. Let us know what happens.

UPDATE

Ok i put in a new processor, yet the same thing still happens, all the fans start up, nothing else happens. So i unplugged the IDE cable connecting my hardrive to the motherboard, turn on my computer and the hardrive starts spinning, so now im thinking its either the motherboard or the harddrive, any other opinions? Thanks.

I dno I would almost wonder if your PSU (Power Supply) is sufficient..What make and/or model is it, and how much power does she put out?

Same thing happened to me when I first built my comp. A week later the fans would start then everything would stop. THe problem was my mobo was just defective and crashed, ordered a new one and its been serving me well for the past year

Well i tried a new MoBo, still the same thing, i am going to try a new power supply today when i get off work, i hope that fixes it!!:mad:

you might want to listen to the beepers, check out the company bios first and then identify the beepers with the problem.

Note that different bios have different beepers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom