CPU for media and entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proximos

Baseband Member
I was wondering which CPU is most targeted towards media and entertainment. Basically a CPU for music, movies, photos and the such (not for gaming). Does anyone have suggestions as to which one is the best to look for. I was thinking Pentium D but i'm not quiet sure. Thanks in advance, Ilic.

hmm, too subjective

Pentium D...new Conroes...I'd say you should go with 6300 conroe. Pent D 805 and it's bros are awesome for what you need but use more wattage than the conroes. Conroes you can build quieter systems that use less power

Pent d 805 you could buy and use stock...then if you wish to game it up, liquid cool the system, oc it to 4ghz and have fun...of course you could do that with conroe but the 805 is just a buck shot at $100

:)

atomic tofu said:
hmm, too subjective

Pentium D...new Conroes...I'd say you should go with 6300 conroe. Pent D 805 and it's bros are awesome for what you need but use more wattage than the conroes. Conroes you can build quieter systems that use less power

Pent d 805 you could buy and use stock...then if you wish to game it up, liquid cool the system, oc it to 4ghz and have fun...of course you could do that with conroe but the 805 is just a buck shot at $100

:)

Sounds good. I'll probably stick with the Pentium D cause it fits my budget. Can anyone tell me what the difference between 8XX and 9XX Dual Core is?

massacreinfallx said:
dont get a e6300, its not a conroe. its an allendale.

if you want a conroe core you have to get a e6400 or better.

Yea, i decided to get a D because the Conroe is out of my budgte and i don't need to play games or anything, it's just mainly for entertainment use. I was looking at various sites for already build computers and they try to rip you off so much.
For example, MDG says you get a free upgrade form a Pentium 4 3.6 ghz to a Pentium D 2.66 ghz with 533 mhz front system bus. And then they write ($200 dollar value). The Pentium D processor itself doesn't cost 200 bucks to being with, and it's like the worst one of it's kind. And the motherboard only supports DDR memory. I thought DDR 2 was standard for Intel processors.

dont get a e6300, its not a conroe. its an allendale.

if you want a conroe core you have to get a e6400 or better.

Don't you mean the e6600 or better? Why not get the e6300? Its a really nice processer and only costs $220 compared to the $370 e6600 which not everyone can afford. The e6300 and the e6400 have the exact same core to a T, the only difference is that the e6400 is clocked higher at stock.

Why are we putting so much power into a media center PC? Heck, I'd go with a Sempron setup on the s754 platform.

Ryan

Thanks for all the replies guys. I'm just wonderin though, what would be the cheapest processor that could be used as a media centre PC. Like i said, i'd probably use it to burn music, view photos, watch movies, and watch trailers and things on the internet. Could an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ and 1 gig of ram do this for example? Actually, let me rephrase that, can it do that without lagging or anything? And what other budget processors would you reccomend cause my friend is looking for a very cheap one as well.

i'm thinking for what you want planned you'd be doing multiple things at a time, dual core cpus are just better for that. Makes the most of multi tasking

any of those processors listed in those links will do what you need, but I do believe the PD 805 is the best for what it can do. Because you can buy it now for cheap, it's 64bit dual cpu...and if you wanted to catch up with games you could then oc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom