Is 2 gig of memory important

Status
Not open for further replies.

solid102

Baseband Member
Does buildign a gaming rig really require 2 gigs of ram since i know 1 gig can handle any game today.

2gb of ram will do you good for the future, since newer games will become memory hogs.

I actually wondered the same thing myself. So, I went out and upgraded from 1GB to 2GB, while still keeping dual channel and similar timings of RAM.

I noticed an overall quicker response from Windows. Things like bootup, opening Windows, and overall multitasking was improved.

However, although some games are getting hungry for RAM, I have not noticed a gaming performance increase. That's not to say you wouldnt benchmark higher, but in terms of noticable difference to a human (or Moderatorbot) theres little if not none.

If I were to build a gaming rig for someone, I'd probably end up sticking 2GB in there. For the responsiveness and future considerations.

I would get a Gb now, and then get the other one later (holidays, bday, one year, whatever) By that time, the price will have gone down. You dont lose anything by not having it now.

I forgot where it was but I read a review that said 2gb shows almost no difference currently except in certain applications (Photoshop, illustrator, etc)

Well, I am throwing together a budget gamer build right now (look at my thread), and I have close to 2 gigs in it. It is always great to have that much more RAM, especially when you have a dual core processor. That way, games can run off of one core and (at most) one gig of RAM, while background applications are left with another gig and another core to run with, greatly increasing efficiency.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom