Conroe and AGP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rouin

Beta member
Greetings. I am building a new computer (yay!).

I will be getting a Core 2 Duo 6600 processor for sure, and probably the Wintec AMPX 2 gigs of DDR2 memory. My problem is this: I have a Geforce 6800 (AGP graphics card) that I bought probably about a year ago for a steep, steep price, and I desire to keep it. I don't do any INTENSE gaming, so I want to keep this graphics card for another few years at least. The problem is the motherboards. All of the motherboards for Conroe and DDR2 seem to only have PCIe slots. I know there's an AGP-to-PCIe converter, but that would require more power (i'm only getting a 330W power supply), and it's like spending money for a 10% decrease in graphics performance. :(

There will be no overclocking. No intense fps gaming. (which is why I'm going with the 330W power supply.)

I just need there to be a decent mobo out there that supports the latest greatest, such as conroe and ddr2, but then also have one AGP slot that I can put my Geforce 6800 into.

Is there anything like this out there? Or will there be?

No offense.... but, ... I think that you are searching for an Enzo that has a four-cylinder.

I don' t think that such an animal exists. Generally manufactureres and designers do not integrate nacent technology with "end of life" hardware....

Perhaps you could sell your 6800 and put the cash toward a PCI-E video card.

Also.... your PSU needs to have more cajones.

So I've decided to just get a mid-level nVidia PCIe, maybe a 7600 or a 6800 or so. And I've also decided to get the Seasonic S12-380W. I'm going Seasonic because of their quietness. My assumption is that 380W would be enough to run the Conroe 2.4ghz, an nVidia 7600, the 2 gigs of memory, and a decent motherboard.

My current computer only uses a 350W PSU, and I'm running the Geforce 6800 and a 3.4ghz Prescott, and haven't had any problems with power.

Anybody think it's not enough power?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom