press r to repair

Status
Not open for further replies.

real_in

In Runtime
guyzz.. i get this error while loading windows..

windows files are missing.. press r to repair after installin setup CD and all stuff

but the thing is when i try to properly copy files, instead of pressing r and repair.. it doesnt detect the copy of windows already installed in the PC..

what can be the error..

or is there any way to copy the missing files or even folders..

cause the message says /system/config missing..

now how do i copy those files or that folder..

please help and what commands can i use in recovery console, on typing help it displays all commands, but what i found useful was chkdsk /r

but this wont even fix that missing files error.. i have tried it.

regards
realin!

boot to the recovery console on your xp cd and use the expand command to get the file and restore it to the folder it belongs too. i would actually suggest formatting if you dont have anything important on the drive.

bellow is the command (X being your cd drive letter)

expand X:\I386\*.cab -F:*filename here* C:\windows\*location to copy to*

let me know if that helps

You can reinstall XP without losing your files. Just choose the Install option instead of the initial Repair option, after that you should be given 2 choices, full reformat and install, or repair install. The repair install will keep your files and settings, you'll just have to reinstall your drivers.

@jcortes thanks a lot mate, but that expands file.. now if i wanna expand a whole folder then, is it the same command ??

@cedjunior -->> mate, i know that option, but as u said after pressing install instead of repair option, the window should detect the previous version installed in the drive.. but it is not detecting it..

and if i will install like this only.. then it will remove desktop and mydocument files(which i need the most) .. i know it wont damage root files.. but will renew those desktop and mydocument folders..

say ??

not posotive on this one but it reads out to be logical

expand X:\I386\*.cab C:\windows\*location to copy to*

that may put alot of files that belong in other folders in the c:\windows\ folder but once you get into the windows interface backup your data and just format :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom