gpu questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan1121

Daemon Poster
Ok im looking into all of my options here. I have a 256 mb crossfire ready gpu picked out with128 bit interface. Then while browsing new egg i found an Nvidia geforce 6800gt with 512mb of memory and a 256 bit interface, thats sli ready, for about 40 dollars more. The nvidia card howver has 8 pixel pipelines and 350 mhz core clock speed. the ATI card has 12 pixel pipelines and 600 mhz core clock speed. Is it really worth it to upgrade to the nvidia, or stick with the cheaper ati card. Somone said they OC to 400 mhz core clock speed. So which is really worth it, i have a motherboard ready for each sollution. And im not planning on going with 2 GPU's right now, but i want it there as an upgradeability option.

oh and heres links to both cards

Nvidia geforce 6800 gt

Ati power color x1600xt

well what i really need is for someone to explain to me what pixel pipelines are, and also if the difference in core clock speed makes a large difference. Because if the geforce is somewhat better ill go with that, if not ill stick with the radeon 1600.

For one, to remove any confusion, SLI = two exact nVidia cards (ie. two EVGA 7900GTX's), Crossfire = 2 exact Radeon cards (ie. ATI X1900XTX's). You cannot put an nVidia card and a Radeon card in SLI/Crossfire.

Two, minus the memory size, the X1600XT is the superior card.

ok thats what i wanted to know, i knew you had to have radeon cards for crossfire and nvidia for sli. So im gonna stick with the radeon becauseit's cheaper, plus with rebate the crossfire AM2 motherboard i picked out is cheaper too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom