ram-izzle

Status
Not open for further replies.

werdna35

In Runtime
I've seen people post stats that say something like 2gb of RAM- 4 512 sticks or something like that. So could someone actually have 4 gb of ram? They would just need 4 1gb sticks. Does it work that way or am I oversimplifying?

yes thats how it works... and it is possible to have 4gis of ram.. but for now its not recommended as its considered too much, until the release of windows Vista, which apparently its able to handle a lot more memory... whereas windows xp 32bit edition can only handle upto 3gbs or something....

oh, ok. So it is possible to do, but as of right now, operating systems can't handle that much?

For my second question, which mobo's have the space for 4 sticks of RAM?

All Standard ATX mobos have 4 RAM slots that can hold up 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB I think.

the standard is 4 slots.

here is a list of the os ram limits

Win XP= 4gig ram limit
Win x64 = currently limited to 128gig physical and 16TB virtual. Will support even more when hardware supports it. Theoretically 64 bit will support up to 18 billion gig ram. (HOLY @$#%)
Win Vista 32 bit = 4gig limit
Win Vista 64 bit home basic = 8 gig
Win Vista 64 bit home Premium = 16 gig
Win Vista 64 bit business/enterprize/ultimate= 128 gig (insane)
Win 98 = 512 mb
Win 2000 = 4gig
win 95 = (unknown) around 512mb
Linux 32 bit = 3gig

some mobos have 6 or 8 slots for ram, but obviously you cant fill them all up with 2 gig sticks without the proper hardware and OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom