Keep the old one, or throw it out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

foolioGrimz

Solid State Member
Right now ive got a hand-me-down compaq presario 5000. im not sure on the exact model number, but Im guessing its just the 5000US. 400Mhz processor, 64MB ram and somewhere around 6-9GB Hard drive.

The plastic front of the case is broken and the side where it opens is gone, so basically its just a bare metal case. its been a good computer for all the abuse its taken. only thing thats ever been wrong with it was a bad drive or something I disabled with msconfig.

If I keep the old I want to fab up a plexi window and do something with the front. at the very least I'd buy some more RAM. Im not real familiar with the hardware aspect of computers. What would you guys recommend getting for that computer.

If I build a computer I want to get something thats at least 1000Mhz, 512MB RAM, 30GB Hard drive, burner, Decent Vid card (I don't know anything about those) and a decent sound card. (are there any with RCA Pre-amps?).

keep in mind I have a very tight budget and I'll have to save up and buy one thing at a time unless I find a second job any time soon.

well sorry for typing such a long post, but I'd appreciate any good advice :cool:

For the old one, you could swap it into a new case. If you have friends with old computers maybe they could just give you one. I personally have at least three extra cases in my attic. I can't make myself throw them away. I don't recommend trying to upgrade the RAM. The system is so old, it will be very hard to find compatible RAM and having bad RAM causes your system to become VERY unstable.

Do they have Fry's Electronics in TX? The system you describe for your new one, you can probably get there for $199 when they have a sale - all assembled. Then just trade up on the sound and video cards when you have more money. If you don't have Fry's there must be some TX equivalent of our techie heaven there. Try it out, it's fun to shop. If you don't have a good store, you can always shop on-line. U-Bid has some good deals. If you do that, be sure to make yourself aware of the return policies though, and remember you have to pay for shipping.

I agree with ccohn. A new case would be a better start. As for the hardware upgrades, what are you going to use this system for? I've always been able to find GREAT prices for pc components at newegg.com.

Also, what is your budget?

yeah, might be better to get a new case. Will any case work or do I have to find another presario 5000?

and my computer will be used to play lots of music, games, surf the net image editing. Also it'll be used for school work (looking into computer science). right now Ive got a job doing computer work for someone here in town. (very small town)

The cheapest computer around here (new computer) would have to be for around $500-$600 and be just basic wal-mart type. Im hoping to be able to build a little better system for around the same price or less. over the internet would be better since transportation kinda sucks right now.

Ive already got all the perifrials (sp?). infact i have 2 monitors. Now only if I had duel output on my computer :(

how much do you think it would cost to build a decent mid-ranged system from bargain hunting off the internet?

edit: Im not sure about the computer prices, havent checked for awhile. but im going for more of a custom look .... eventually. even if I get the current one working I'll still be looking to piece together another system.

you can get a barebones system at newegg.com for around $200-$300. Then you can decide which processor, ram, and HD to put in it. If you want to (and you will if you play games) be sure to buy one with an AGP expansion slot so you can upgrade the video card.

Alltogether, I'd say $350 for a midrange pc.

i'll probably keep the old even if i get a new one... I looked the computer up on the crucial website. uses 168pin PC100, PC133 chips. how much of a difference do you think itd make with 256MB+ of RAM instead of the old 64?

System Information for the
Compaq Presario 5000 Series Model 5000US.
System Type: Desktop Computer
Maximum memory: 768MB
Standard memory: 64MB removable
Slots/banks: 3 (3 banks of 1)

More ram always makes a big difference - if you're looking for a computer with that much stuffon it you can probably jsut get the box with a 40 gig hd and probably a Burner for 200.00 - pricewatch generally can find stuff like that- however newegg is more reliable in my experience.

are you going to keep the mobo that came with your compaq? i tried switching out the board that came with my compaq into an ATX case, and it wouldn't fit (too small). i think compaq uses the uATX mobos....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom