A question about motherboard and RAM compatibility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

srohek

Beta member
I have an Abit Kx7 I got about 1 and half years ago and back then ram PC3200 wasn't even out yet. The mobo manual said it could use RAM up to PC2700. Does anyone know for sure if I can use a 512DDR PC3200 on my motherboard if I were to get it?

Yah thats correct it will roll back to the speeds it can handle and were tested with. Wich means it is a waste of your money. Now me i just bought pc 3200 ram even though my motherboad cant handle it so its rolled back i did this so in a couple months when i upgrade to a better motherboard it will use those speeds it supposed to. So it can be a waste of money and it can't be depends if you'r planning on upgrading later. And if you are you could have just saved yourself 100$.

As long as ABIT states that a higher memory frequency can function with the board at the highest rated frequency can handle, then go for it, but I would rather stick with PC2700 instead, as PC3200 wouldn't provide too much of a noticeable benefit in your case. The reason I question this is because some motherboards can short out RAM modules if the frequency rating is higher than what the motherboard can handle. (e.g. the Intel CA810E that comes equipped with some Compaq Presario machines)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom