Boot Disk Failure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD 3200+ 64

Baseband Member
Hi
I have a AMD 2400+ with a Asus MX-400 motherboard
my problem is that i redid xp on it and then retstart the PC and it says Boot Disk Failure please insert boot disk and it wont start up so 2 make the computer start i have 2 put the xp cd in and it boots up no problem and runs fine! any 1 no why it would do this?? and how i could solve this lil problem!?

Thanks. :D

change the order of the boot sequence so that it boots to the hard drive first. see if that helps.

when you set up windows do you delete all partitions then create the new one and then procede to format and install windows on it? also try to repair the MBR see if that helps boot to the cd enter the recovery console and enter this

fixmbr

and

fixboot

also try booting to a 98 floppy and using this command

fdisk /mbr

Not to hijack this, but I have a similar problem. This is what mine is doing:
I have an 80GB Maxtor from a Dell P3 1Ghz. When it is booted to the boot (and only HDD) drive I think it said "Disk read error, press Ctrl + Alt + Del to restart"

It seems to spin SLOWLY but it is recognized (via external USB case) on my 3 XP machines and Linux box. It never shows up under my computer though. I can't access anything on it.

I need to recover the data. I've taken apart many drives and took this one apart to check it out and it looks perfectly clean inside. I put the cover back on and am now trying to figure out what my next step will be.

I think it has a bad motor. After 5 years of constantly being on I can understand failure. (BTW, This is a friends PC, I back up my stuff :grin: )

I would like to try to recover the data for him as there are 8 years of Pics, biz records and a lot of other things that are important to him.

-Does anyone know of a guide on how to do this?
-Also, if the motor is bad and I find another drive suitable for the switch, can I just swap the platters?
-Does it have to be an identical 80Gb Maxtor drive? or can it be a 120gb, 160gb, 40gb, 60gb? Or even does it have to be Maxtor?

I feel I can fo the mechanics comforable as I took a WD drive apart and re=assembled it my firt time w/o too many scratches, lol, but I wasn't being very careful with that one..

ANY SUGGESTIONS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom