System Crashes during Games

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSmoove

Solid State Member
OK, this problem started about....a month or so ago.

Currently, when im playing a game(and only a game), after about 20 minutes or so, the game crashes. Sometimes it just crashes to desktop, but most of the time i get the BSOD. And usually the message is

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

**STOP Message**

nv4_disp.sys
or
nv4_mini.sys

Sometimes it doesnt say anything at all. Sometimes it doesnt show the nv4 messages. Sometimes it Doesnt say the IRQL message.

I have run several different virus scans on my comp, including Avast, norton, PC-Cillin, and Mcafee and they all come up with nothing.

I heard this can be attributed to bad RAM, so i removed each stick of RAM and played the game with only 1 stick at a time. And it happens with both sticks. So I dont think my RAM is the problem.

I had also thought it may be my Video Card, so I tried another vid card and i still got the error message.

I have also tried several graphic driver versions for NVIDIA. Currently using the latest.

Heres my comp specs

AMD Athlon 2000 xp+ (1.6ghz)
Geforce FX 5700 Ultra 128mb (when i changed it out i tried a Geforce 4 ti 4200 128MB)
768MB PC2100 RAM
Win XP (up-to-date)
ASUS A7V333X Motherboard
Onboard Sound/Avance 97 I beleive its called.

So Anyone have any ideas?

Do you think formatting will fix this? Or is this a hardware problem?

If anything, i will just reformat. Been a long time coming. But if its a hardware issue there would be no point in doing so.

The nv4_disp.sys or nv4_mini.sys are both Nvidia driver files ... So if it was hardware issue ..it should not have happened when u used a different card

HAve tried using Driver Cleaner
n' then installing the drivers for ur display card again

Tried the driver cleaner. Didnt work. Here is the exact error message i got if it helps

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

If this is the first time you've seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to make sure any new hardware or software is properly installed. If this is a new isntallation ask your hardware or software manufacturer for any windows updates you might need.

If problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching and shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select advanced startup options, and then select Safe Mode.

*** STOP: 0x000000D1 (0x84E4B120, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0xF724059D)

*** nv4_mini.sys - Address F724059D base at F71E4000, DateStamp 4061d74b

Begining Dump of physical memory
Physical Memory dump complete.
Contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance.

that message is caused by the updated Nvidia drivers from the Microsoft Windows Update website. go to the Nvidia website, download the appropriate drivers and reinstall them. it might work. did for me.

I would reseat the card and do a fresh install of the OS. Everyone knows what happens where drivers get involved. It turns into a can of worms.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom