Stupid USB adapters

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazy_taco

In Runtime
I have recently built my own custom computer, and I am quite happy with the results. However, the Zonet USB 2.0 802.11b/g WLAN adapter I purchased from Newegg.com refuses to work. I am running Windows XP MCE 02 and I cannot seem to get this darn thing working. So I decided to just say forget it and went to best buy and bought A USB WLAN adapter from Belkin. Same problem. What happens is that when I plug it in to my computer, Windows says that the device isn't recognized. I thought that it might be something with the Operating System and the Plug and Play system, so I reinstalled Windows MCE. THe problem still won't go away. The software for the zonet adapter won't even start. I think that my computer may have fried the adapters in some way because when I tried using it on my laptop, it doesn't even acknowlage the fact that there is something plugged into the USB port. Please help me as quick as possible. A computer without internet access is pretty useless to me.

If you installed the drivers already, uninstall them via Control Pannel, and re-install them. Let Windows configure it though...In other words, when you insert the device in your USB port for the first time, and Windows wants to install the drivers, just let Windows search for the drivers in the CD-ROM drive. Windows will load only the primary driver files needed for the peripheal device to work, instead of all the extra crap that comes with devices nowdays. Somedays all the extra software bundles and crap like that cause software conflicts within your OS. If you've already tried that, and you've also already tried re-installing your OS, I would suspect that the problem may be with the motherboard. Check it out man, if anything you'll learn from the situation.

if the CMOS does not work either, then check your motherboard for power jumpers and enable them. If these usb ports are your front ones then also check the jumpers or little wires your installed into your motherboard.

worst comes to worst just install a pci usb hub port, it's only about 15-25$

I haven't tried connecting anything else to the ports.

There are 4 more ports in the back of the computer, but I don't believe they are hooked up because nothing happens if I plug it into one of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom