eww...computer problem.. help asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm... thats an odd place, but it looks like its just through the card. At the top of the metal braket, if there is a screw remove that. I dont think you need to remove the other. It maybe a little tought to get the card out (you have to use a LITTLE force, but not over do it). Just keep rocking the card back and forth from its bracket pull up and then on the other side. Just keep doing it. It doesn't look like you need to remove that screw, though. It's hard to see, what does it connect to? As far as I can tell, it just connects into the vid card but not to any sort of bracket or restraint.

If it is try and figure the kind of screw and may need to get a ratchet or if the type, a L allen wrench.

I too think that the screw in those pictures is not what is holding the card down. It's an AGP card, and with most AGP slots there is a little lever or something near the motherboard on the opposite end from the metal bracket at the back of the case that you will have to pull in order to get the card out.

okay, I got the videocard out and put it back in.. I took my hard drive out and put it in my dad's computer to scan for viruses...turns out I had 3 files infected with a trojan horse.. that may have been the problem. Anyway, I'm backing up my files right now, and then I'll put my HD back into my computer and see how it works. Thanks a ton! ^^

Okay, I cleaned the viruses off my HD and put my it back into my own computer, made sure the video card was in good and tight and started it up... same thing. "Your monitor is working correctly, please check computer power"...any other ideas?

Have you tried using a different monitor or swapping video cards? Are there beeping noices when you turn the PC on? Have you tried calling Gateway? I hear Gateway tech support is pretty good, but my friend use to have a Gateway PC and he hated their tech support.

Anyway, if you are desperate, you can try the following. Do this as a LAST result if you still can not fix the computer. It is going to sound stupid, but if you are desperate, I assume you will try anything. I assume your Gateway PC and your dad's PC both have ATX motherboards. If both power supply on both the PCs are close in watt, you can try taking your dad's power supply and put it onto your motherboard. Make sure when you pull the plugs out, you know where to plug them back in. Have a piece of paper and pen ready to write down what went where.

1. Unplug your dad's PC.
2. Ground yourself.
3. Unscrew the screws that holds the power supply to the case of your dad's PC. There should only be 3 or 4 of those on the back of the case.
4. On his motherboard, there should be a bunch of wires that come out to white connection that plugs to the motherboard. Press the little white clip and pull out the connection. Unplug all the other connections that connect to the HD, CDROM, etc..
5. On the Gateway motherboard, ground yourself and unplug that same white connection that connects the power supply to the motherboard.
6. Plug your dad's power supply to the Gateway motherboard. Do not worry about plugging in the connections to the HD, CDROM and other stuff. You just want power going through the board to see if it has enough juice for the motherboard and video card.

Hope it works, but if it does not, sorry for wasting your time. This actually happened to me about 6 years ago when I was working for big company. The CFO's PC would look like it would boot up, but nothing would show on the monitor. There would be no beeping noices. I swapped everything with a computer similiar to his. I got so desperate, I called my manager, told him what I did and he suggested I try swapping the power supply. I told him the lights are on and I do not think it is the power supply. He told me to do it, so I did. What do you think happened? The damn thing booted up fine. My manager said there was enough juice to light up the LED lights, but not anything else. The power supply had gone bad. So I hope this will help. Remember, do this as a LAST resort. I don't want you frying your PC and blaming me for it, hehe.

saiya, it would prolly be worth your time to check out your ram too. from what your describing, it sounds like a hardware problem of some type. I have seen ram, motherboards, processors, and hard drives cause things similar to what is happening. if you cna't get ANYTHING to come up ever, replace your motherboard first. reason being, you may have a fried motherboard, but good components. If it still doesn't EVER come up with ANYTHING change your power supply. If it gets to the post (power on self test) but fails shortly thereafter, prolly a cpu, possibly ram. Ram is pretty cheap and if you're thinking about getting more anyways and it is at least trying to come up, buy another stick of ram, take your old one out, put new one in. if it works, old ram is bad, you fixed it and you're good. If nothing else, now you have more ram so its not a total loss.

also, trying swapping vid cards from your fathers computer. also, you may want to disconnect EVERYTHING except the HDD, Vid card, CPU and memory and see if you get anything. Hope it is the vid card, though. Cheaper and if you dont know your way around the insides, its much easier to rpl vid card. so try your dads vid card. just watch the ESD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom