Keyboard Problem - Please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenonnet

Baseband Member
I am having problems with my Compaq keyboard. I want to use it with my present PC. It was working with my present PC but has now stopped. If I plug an old PS/2 keyboard in, it works but the Compaq one won't.
I have downloaded the drivers from the website but when I try to install them it says my system doesn't meet the minimum requirements for the update.
I can't understand this, as my present PC is a higher spec than my Compaq was. I was running Windows ME on the Compaq PC and am running Windows XP Pro on my present one, should that make a difference? I don't think it's that as the keyboard was working to begin with but I'm clutching at straws a bit now!
I really like my Cpmpaq keyboard and would prefer to use it if I can. Please can anyone help?? :confused:

Hello,

Try changing the keyboard driver to a generic PS/2 keyboard driver.

Plug in another PS/2 keyboard that works, then boot into safe mode. Go to Control Panel > Keyboard > Hardware Tab...

...What is listed in the devices box at the top?

...If it's not one of the following, change the driver to one of the following drivers:
  • PC/AT Enhanced PS/2 Keyboard (101/102-Key)
    [*] Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard
...then unplug the current PS/2 keyboard from your PC, plug in your Compaq PS/2 keyboard, restart the PC into safe mode and see if the keyboard works.

If it doesn't, then try the other generic keyboard driver instead.

My Compaq keyboard is a USB connection, not PS/2.
The printer & scanner stopped working too. I ended up getting rid of all drivers & re-booting, setting all the drivers again.
Thought that had fixed it as everything started working again, even my Compaq keyboard.
I have switched off & on again a few times since then & all seemed ok until just now. The PC froze & I had to reboot, when I did it stopped at the loading screen & said no keyboard was connected, even though the light was lit on the keyboard itself.
After trying to reboot a few times & getting the same message, I plugged in my old PS/2 keyboard. The PC then booted up & my Compaq keyboard works. Why does it need the PS/2 keyboard plugged in to work? Any suggestions? :confused:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom