How hot is too hot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why would you get an FX-62? AMD just had huge price drops, just go with one of their lower end models and you'll be fine if you're looking for a new processor.

Which lower-end AMD model would you recommend then? The best one I see is a 4600+ X2 but it only has 2x512k L2 cache, which is terrible, when I could get a 3.2GHz Pentium D with 2x2mb L2 cache for the same price.

Well, what are you looking to do with the processor? AMDs will handle gaming a considerable amount better than Intels, Unless you go into conroe. The 4600+ should out perform the processor you're running now, It's not all about the raw numbers, but how they're used.

SpikedCola said:
Which lower-end AMD model would you recommend then? The best one I see is a 4600+ X2 but it only has 2x512k L2 cache, which is terrible, when I could get a 3.2GHz Pentium D with 2x2mb L2 cache for the same price.

AMD's architecture doesn't demand the same amount of cache. Another reason Intel adds lots of cache to thier processors is because they had a memory bandwidth problem before Core 2 Duo. It was a technique to help close the gap between them and AMD.

Trust... The 2x512kb of cache is plenty.

Ryan

Yes 1gb of DIE Cache would be nice lol^^

But anyway, AMD's will outperform anything to do with intel, excluding the conroe, and don't just go by size, because as people say, its what you do with it....

Well, I do some gaming (actually, only WoW) but I do a lot of video conversion with VirtualDub and TMPGEnc. Other than that, just typical surfing and chatting on MSN. Wow, seems like everyone here is biased towards AMD. No Intel-fanboys around here? =/

Well, everyone is biased for a good reason, excluding Conroe, they are a lot more efficient and generally better!

How about this one then?

Also, is the 939 socket dead? I see a bunch of proc's for it, but I read somewhere (forget where) that its better to go to the AM2 socket. And what about the FX series? Would it be better to go to something like an FX-55 or FX-57 rather than a 4600+? Keeping in mind I want to run DDR2 667 (hopefully), just not plain 'ol DDR

Currently, Im looking at one of these and one of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom