XP\Messenger\Dial-Up problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mycat8toto

Solid State Member
I have a client with an XP box (Duron 1.6, ECS board, 256MB DDR333 RAM, onboard video/audio/nic, Intel Modem, 40GB WD hard drive, Win XP )...

When they go to dial-up their internet connection and messenger tries to sign on the CPU spikes to 100% on the messenger process and stays there until you cancel the Messenger login. they have been using messenger since the PC was installed about a month ago and this is the first problem...any ideas? anyone else having trouble?

I personally have an XP Pro box on a cable modem and i don't have any trouble with messenger.

The problem machine has AVG Antivirus software and it is up to date, it does nto find any viruses. I have ran Ad-Aware and while it did find a bunch of junk...the messenger problem still persists. It had all necessary Microsoft updates at the time i installed it...

My network admin at work told me today his sisters PC, also with a dial-up connection and XP is having the exact same problem with messenger.

Any help would be appreciated.

is it windows messenger

or are you talking about the messenger services the one that causes pop-ups

FIXED, sort of

I think i have this resolved.

It was Windows Messenger causing the problem. I upgraded them to the newest MSN messenger and disabled the Windows Messenger. Not sure why WM started causing trouble all of a sudden but oh well, MSN Messenger looks and works the same and it works so...if they are happy, I am happy.

Thanks for taking the time to post your thoughts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom