optical mouse

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookie1010

Fully Optimized
Hi
my old mouse just dies on me. i have got a USB wireless optical mouse.
but my old machne wont respond to the mouse, i had never had the wl optical mouse installed on it.

can i get an optical mouse that plugs into the PS2 connector, or are all optical mice plugged into the usb port.

if i do have to buy a usb mouse, will it load its drivers automatically, or wont i be able to log in at the windows login screen(since i wont be able to move my mouse around)

also is there any way i can use my present wireless optical mouse(usb) on my old machine (by going into bios) or something like that.

To start off with ...Most USB mice come with a USB to PS/2 convertor.

I don't think any mouse for that matter needs any drivers for it's basic operation ...The drivers are normally used only for the extra fucntionality of the mouse.

Now to getting ur current USB mouse working ... Make sure u have the USB enabled in the bios ... That's the only thing u need to check up in the bios. Also u can login to windows without the mouse ...using just the keyboard ( tab key n' enter)

what operating system are you using......win NT doesn't recognize plug and play devices or USB (since usb is, by default, plug and play). If you're using NT, find a sub to ps2 adapter like was mentioned above

Yup. Easiest way out, and if your mouse didn't come with one, I just bought one the other day at Wal-Mart. Only 2 or $3. ;)

:) i have taken the mouse apart, and dumped it in the bin.
this time the mouse worked at the login screen, i had previously enabled the usb support. ( i guess that means i should always have a non usb keyboard handy to make changes to the BIOS).

wha ti thought was that the optical sensor requires considerable power which can only be supplied by a USB port, so if you hook up the USB mouse to a pS-2 port via an adaptor you won't get that much power, since perhaps the PS-2 port and the USB port have different power ratings.

The power required by the mouse is pretty low .. like 500mA ...so both USB n' PS/2 are able to power the mouse perfectly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom