RAID help, checking hard disk space

Status
Not open for further replies.

R1C0CH3T

Daemon Poster
okay so i just scored two wd 36 raptors. now i want to do a raid setup. my question is, raid 1 or raid 0. all im looking for is pure speed. i also want to check how much space i am currently taking on my 160 gig IDE hard drive to see if 74 gigs is enough. help?

Raid 1 only does a mirror, so its only good for backups.

Raid 0 would be where it splits the data across the 2 hard drives so they act as one.

so it depends on what you want to do, back up or space.

okay so ill do raid 0. where can i find on my computer how much space i am currently using?

RAID 0 will give you perfomance and space.....

And you don't know how to check hard drive space?! Just go to my computer and click on your hard drive...it should show used/free space in the left window panel...or just right click and go to properties.

ya i googled it, thanks. im only using 13 gigs. wow. 74 is overkill for me i guess. how much of a performance increase could raid 0 do for me? just like load time and stuff, bf2 load times?

I'll just say it's a significant difference. :) Makes me very happy....and your WD hard drives are faster than mine.

BTW it depends what you do...I have 640gb total and it fills up for me.

oh I see...I watch shows/movies so space fills up fast. I love collecting good shows too. :) Every season of Battlestar Galactica is a keeper

yup i would download shows, but at the rate im going im reformatting every month. next week ill be getting my raptors in the mail, and whaddaya know!!! another reformat and another hour of reinstalling everything

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom