Help! Why computer retailers do not include a backup of all software on new computers

Status
Not open for further replies.

daniella090

Beta member
Hi

I am Daniela and I am a student at GMC. I have to take a computer class and I have to write a Term Paper. This is the subject:

Explain why computer retailers do not include a back-up of all software on a new computer.

can someone give me a few ideas? and what kind of software are they talking about?

Thank you for your help

often times its software companies that are partnered with or support the company that is selling the computer and will put software on the hard drive when you first get it so that you will buy from them later EX: dell, when you first get a dell system it has tons of software on the drive and the only way you can get rid of it is to format now in my opinion the reason they dont include the cd with the software is because they dont really want it on their drives eather but they get payed for advertising the product. however some main programs on the dell like myDVD, SONIC burning utilitie, ect. they often send a cd like that to you.

Hello,

You mean like pre-installed software (like factory installed Windows XP) where the manufacturer don't provide you with a Windows XP installation CD?

Firstly I think the question that has been set is flawed, because it implies that all computer retailers don't include backups of installed software on a backup medium.

Most laptop and PC manufacturers do provide CDs containing software backups for end users in the form of OEM CD-ROMS or as a recovery CD, and if they don't, then most of the manufacturers provide a feature within the OS which allows the end user to create a set of backup / recovery CDs to restore the system to a factory state.

But to answer the question, the main reason I can think of is because most system vendors deploy OEM Windows XP operating systems (which are branded and customized to the manufacturer's preference). What they do is deploy a customized OEM version of Windows onto multiple systems at the factory, activate Windows at the factory, then distribute the system to retailers for consumers to purchase. System vendors can therefore save on costs in using OEM software, and save costs in having to produce and distribute recovery discs / backup software CDs to end users.

In turn, if the system manufacturer is saving in costs by deploying an OEM version of Windows, then the consumer too should also be benefiting - from a lower retail price of the cost of the system.

Money.

Like Alvin has already said, the manufacturers install the OS and other software in bulk, and activate the same in bulk. This doesn't require CDs, and the company doesn't have to spend the dough to buy said CDs or package them.

Some systems allow you to make backup CDs from the files on the hard drive, but most people don't know about it, or know how, and those that do seldom bother.

The problem with including the software in a back-up partition is that if the hard drive dies, you lose your restoration partition as well.

So, basically, this is a way for companies to screw the consumer even more.

I have never owned a computer that did not have either the factory restore software either on CD or on some recovery partition. I suppose if some company were not doing this it would be because either they are trying to keep costs low or there is some form of licensing issue that prevents them from creating a rebuild CD and they cannot get backup software from the original vendors.

I once had got a sony computer (my wife's) with tons of good software and it had a recovery partition and restore cds. I've came across other computer just like that with similar recovery partitions and cd

hp, compaq, ibm, dell. etc

there was one glaring difference.

they other were all bundled with junk and trialware. I wiped them and reinstall windows

kranich said:
I have never owned a computer that did not have either the factory restore software either on CD or on some recovery partition. I suppose if some company were not doing this it would be because either they are trying to keep costs low or there is some form of licensing issue that prevents them from creating a rebuild CD and they cannot get backup software from the original vendors.

I'm going to make a guide on how to reinstall windows without the cd on these system. I just trying to figure out how to capture all of the images since it requires a bart pe or erd commander cd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom