eww...computer problem.. help asap!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saiya00

Solid State Member
Hi, I'm new here, and I have a bit of a computer problem... I wasn't sure which board to post this on, so if it's in the wrong place, I apologize! ^^
Okay, so I have a decent computer, right? It never freezes, and works pretty fast for the most part. Well, yesterday it froze. I thought that I probably just had too many programs running, and that it wasn't a big deal, and I restarted it. Well, it froze again about 30 minutes later. I rebooted again, and it kept doing this down to where I had only a few minutes before it froze once I started it up. This morning I went to turn it on, and all it gaves me was the "Your Monitor Is Working Properly, Please Check Computer Power" screen.... I tried unplugging and plugging it back in, taking the monitor-tower cord out and plugging it back in, restarting it manually, etc, and I still can't get it to work. I think I may have contracted a bad virus. ;_; I desperately need to get this fixed before Sunday because I have more than a week's worth of research saved on there for a debate presentation on Monday. I live way out in the boonies, so there's no computer experts out here that could come and help me set it straight. Any suggestions? I'll love you forever if you can help me figure this out!!! I have Windows XP Home Edition, and I'm running it on a Gateway Computer if that's any help at all. ^^

reseat the video card. open up the case, careful of static discharge, remove the video card (you'll know it, it's where the monitor plugs in and has a screw on the metal braket)... remove the screw, remove the vid card, make sure connection and slot has no debris blow in it if it does (no spit, spit = bad) and then plug it back in. make sure it is in SNUG. should see none of the contacts on the card showing. then plug the computer back in, the monitor, etc and power it back up.

if it degraded over time like that, my money would not be on the video card. Possibly bad processor or motherboard, but more likely processor. Does it even turn on? if you open the case, is there a green light on the motherboard? Does it show you the test before the OS comes up (the POST)??

nah, vid card. they can tend to be come loose. I've seen this happen MANY times. had calls like this often when I worked as a techie in a call center and now it also happens that I've gone into networking and engineering. dont get me wrong, it COULD be the processor... but I'd have to say the vid card

it doesn't anymore. remember, from what he said he had NO video... at all. he got the standard "your monitor is working okay, please check signal" monitor test screen. so, nothing coming over the line to the monitor. just read where he reseated the card and worked okay after that. standards are usually if you have no video at ALL, then cheapest and quickest route (aside from checking connections) is reseating the vid card. and thats USUALLY the problem, but NOT always. its the first thing id do, though.

I'm also assuming your getting power to the tower. It makes the fan noises or a light comes on or something, just no video gets to the monitor...
let us know if it worked

hm... I opened my computer and found the video card, but there's a screw that I can't reach that needs to be taken out before I can take the card out....

yeah, its on a metal braket... unless you have one that has it mounted into the MBD, too. may need to remove other cards or something... just remember what you removed... if need be, label things. if the HDD cage or floppy or cd cage is in the way and needs to be removed remember the pin 1 rule. There is a red stripe down one side of the IDE cable... that should be on the side CLOSEST to the power. Hopefully wont need to go that far, just dont start jabbing at the boards... take your time and wathc ESD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom