Buggy memory stick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hobo_man

In Runtime
I have a memory stick or whatever you want to call it that supposedly has about 132MB of free space. So I tried transferring a folder that was around 18MB. After I tried sending it to my memory stick, it said that there wasn't enough space to hold that folder. I opened the memory stick to delete files from it to clean out some space, but there were no files. I checked the properties and it said that most of the space was already used, but I don't see any files. I tried taking the memory stick in and out, restarting my computer, and going into folder options to show hidden folders in case the files were set to hidden somehow. None of it worked. I'm not sure if I'm memory stick is busted or some setting is preventing me from seeing all files, but please help. Thanks.

Hello,

Is it a USB memory stick?

...Do you have any important files stored on your flash drive?

Have you tried formatting it?

Yes it's a USB memory stick. Do I have important files on it? That I wouldn't know as I can't see any files. I have many USB memory sticks and it's hard to keep track what's on what. If I reformat it, wouldn't it delete any data that is on the memory stick?

hobo_man said:
Yes it's a USB memory stick. Do I have important files on it? That I wouldn't know as I can't see any files. I have many USB memory sticks and it's hard to keep track what's on what. If I reformat it, wouldn't it delete any data that is on the memory stick?

Yes.

Okay, before you format, try doing a CHKDSK.

Connect your flash drive to a USB port...go to run, type cmd.exe and enter, then type:

CHKDSK x: /R and hit enter.

...where x: is the flash drive in question.

first try to back it up on anything ,then
try formating it throught Fat32 instead of NTSF
if that doesnt work Try downloading a program called Directory Snoop v5.00 it helps u find and see what data may be hiding in the cracks
PS: download it from http://www.firststation.org/category/windows/system/
probably gonna have to download the whole section of files called
Hard.Disk.Tools.[ALL]

OK I did the CHKDSK thing, and alot of "Lost chain cross-linked at cluster (number)" appeared. It then asked if I wanted to convert lost chains into files. I said Yes then checked my memory stick and a hidden folder called "Found.000" was there. Inside was "file0000.chk" and it kept going until it reached "file9280.chk". Do I delete this folder and all it's contents? I'll probably just reformat is then if this doesn't work. I'm pretty sure there aren't any important files on it.

Ummm what is your OS , sounds like win 98, you may want to DL the free tools from the manufacturer of your HD to make sure the HD is not going bad. Also check to make sure the processor is not overheating ( fan turns, fins unclogged..etc)

I'm using Windows XP Pro..Well I decided to just reformat the memory stick. Everything is fixed now. Thanks for your help people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom