SATA Questions...

Status
Not open for further replies.

ricks98cobra

Solid State Member
I'm about to take the plunge and purchase components for my first PC build, and was wondering, is it even required to have a floppy drive? I ask this because I am getting a SATA hard drive, and from what it sounds like, you need to install 3rd party drivers in order to install windows xp. I am planning on getting the Intel D865PERLL board (http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProductDesc.asp?description=13-121-184&catalog=23&manufactory=BROWSE). Would anyone know if that CD that comes with the retail box has the required SATA drivers on it, or are they only on the floppy? If they are, is there anyway around this, or should I just add a floppy drive to my order (I have no other use for one besides installing these SATA drivers).

FYI- I'm looking at getting a Maxtor 80gb 7200rpm SATA HD.

Thanks for any help!

-Rick

first I would recomend Western Digital over Maxtor and you gotta make sure your mobo has SATA ports, they are small, different than ATA. And you will probably need a floppy to use a start-up disk when you install widows the first time.

Yes that mobo has SATA...

Yes youll need a floppy. I own two of those exact HDDs and my mobo didnt come with a damn disk. It was a headache and a friggin half. But as you can see here that mobo comes with floppy RAID drivers.

Just cough up 10 bucks for a floppy ya cheap bastard! ;)

a word on the SATA drives, the only ones I know of out there that are TRUE SATA are the Seagates. It may not really matter, but the last I heard, the Maxtors and WD's were both using bridge chips to cross traffic over from the standard ata to the sata connectors. I'm not a big seagate fan, but i think they rightly took the plunge on this one.

Seagates are remarkably quieter also.

But in terms of speed I believe WD are running the market atm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom