questions on OEM hard drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan1121

Daemon Poster
im looking into building a mid range computer, and almost all of the hard drives i see say OEM, which i googled and got that it means it has nothing to do with the manufactuer, and that i can't get firmware updates or a warrinty. Also i saw somewhere it said it dons't include cables. I don't want to buy something that requires extra equitment to install and connect to the rest of my pc. Also i don't think you can the buy media center os unless it's already on a pre-built computer, is there a way i can buy a pre-loaded hard drive with media center on it? or am i out of luck unless i buy a pc from a retailer.

You get the warranty with OEM hard drives. You just download firmware, it's free.

Cables are dirt cheap. The amount you save buying OEM is still more than what cables cost, and you get to choose your color and type (rounded, UV, whatever).

Windows MCE is available for purchase on NewEgg and any other software vendor site. OEM Windows comes without the box and stuff, but you still get the updates. To buy OEM Windows, you have to purchase it with a piece of equipment... you can buy the OEM hard drive, cables, and Windows Media Center at the same time.

My HDD was OEM, and I have a five year warranty with Seagate. Also, I noticed all my cables came with my Mobo, nothing with any of my other appliances.

spartan1121 said:
im looking into building a mid range computer, and almost all of the hard drives i see say OEM, which i googled and got that it means it has nothing to do with the manufactuer, and that i can't get firmware updates or a warrinty. Also i saw somewhere it said it dons't include cables. I don't want to buy something that requires extra equitment to install and connect to the rest of my pc. Also i don't think you can the buy media center os unless it's already on a pre-built computer, is there a way i can buy a pre-loaded hard drive with media center on it? or am i out of luck unless i buy a pc from a retailer.

mostly everuywhere you look the harddrives are going to be sold oem, I DONT KNOW why but yeah. does anybody know why?

JoshSB said:
Also, I noticed all my cables came with my Mobo, nothing with any of my other appliances.
Will whoever i buy my MoBo from tell me this? because i don't want to buy a bunch of pieces, only to have to let them sit while i go buy cables ect, or so i know to buy those things ahead of time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom